• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

steel shot in a 56 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangenh

32 Cal.
Reaction score
One of my favorite areas to squirrel hunt is going to non-toxic shot only. I like to use my TC 56 cal smoothbore for squirrel hunting. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience shooting steel shot from a 56 cal. I assume I would need some kind of heavy shot cup to protect the bore. I guess another option would be to use bismouth.

all the places I hunt require non toxic shot. a few years ago I bit the bullet and ordered 7 lbs. of no.5 bismuth, cost 90.00, so when I go to unload, I pull the load and save the shot. still have probably 5 lbs. flinch

I had no idea that it was THAT expensive!
I get 25 pound of #6 shot for 17 dollars....
We are not restricted here where i LIVE
WILD & WONDERFUL WEST VIRGINIA

Where in Missouri might this be?

I'm from Missouri and this is the first I have heard of any areas requiring non toxic shot for samll game hunting.

I assume that the restriction is only on bird shot and not a single projectile? If so, use light powder charges and a single round ball.

I have used a .54 cal rifle for squirrel hunting for years, with good success, BTW.
Thanks,
J.D.

J.D. check the article in this months issue of the Missouri Conservationist. It's mainly the areas managed for dove hunting and areas that get a lot of hunting pressure. The place I hunt has been shotgun only for several years, so a single projectile is not an option.

steel shotcups are designed to open at 1300 feet persecond, some may be higher as they are going 1460 by my chronograph with good shells.. if you can get about 1300 fps then it should be ok with the right cups.. dont know a thing about 56 ga.. rifles go that fast so it may??? you wont get high enough velocity with most other bigger guages.. .. dave..

You may have to bite the bullet and go with Bismuth. That way you can load the same way you do with lead. One more reason to make every shot count. :shocked2:

I still use lead in my .56, but I use a shotcup. The groups are tight and the cup itself frequently makes the lethal hit

Back