• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have a box of free bee bees

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone gave me a box of bee bees a while back. Don't have a Daisy RR so no can use there. How do those work in a smoothbore long gun? I would assume kind of like steel shot.
Thanks
Larry

I’ve shot them, some say they will damage the bore..
I didn’t find any issues with them, other than they are too large to hunt Turkey with here in Tennessee… According too Mr. Greenjeans…
aka game warden.👍

5804339F-4AC3-40E6-97E9-6757E0086116.jpeg

2 ozs of bb’s compared too 2 ozs of #6 lead shot..

You get a longer shot column for sure..

Last edited:
Are those copper BB's or copper plated steel? My steel BB's are shiny steel, not copper colored. I have both. Copper is softer than steel and won't do anything to a barrel.

Is there any documented evidence of what steel shot will do to a modern muzzleloading smoothbore barrel? I don't know but I doubt that a few shots at ducks would do any damage to a cylinder or jug choked bore. I'd like to know since I don't have a modern shotgun for wetland hunting.

I had a 12 ga dbl barrel for years. I went as far as to contact Pedersoli with that question. The answer I received was that they were okay in a chrome lined bore but might be harmful in an unlined one.

Those would be legal in those states and Federal areas where lead shot is illegal. Unless whst your hunting requires smaller shot.

I would just use the plastic shot cups if you are worried about damaging the bore. The shot cups help a lot with the shot pattern too.

I’ve shot them, some say they will damage the bore..
I didn’t find any issues with them, other than they are too large to hunt Turkey with here in Tennessee… According too Mr. Greenjeans…
aka game warden.👍

View attachment 252894

2 ozs of bb’s compared too 2 ozs of #6 lead shot..

You get a longer shot column for sure..
I've found over the years those' that claim something will damage whatever is one that has never tried anything on his own.

I would want to roll them in a paper cartridge,
I rolled up some nitrated paper and filled the tube with #7 lead shot. Loaded 60 grs FFg, an over powder wad, a cushion wad then the paper filled shot tube. All this in a Charleville smoothbore. The shot tube acted like a slug at 20 yards. No separation of the shot from the paper.

I've found over the years those' that claim something will damage whatever is one that has never tried anything on his own.
What results have you had with large steel shot in muzzleloaders, particularly those with a jug choke?

I wonder why shotgun/barrel manufacturers rate modern barrels (approximately 1980 on) for steel shot, and recommend not using steel shot in older barrels? I remember the issue back in the day when steel was first mandated to be used, the concern was with the chokes and steel shot not compressing (the larger the shot, the less compression) like lead compressed and creating an obstruction for lack of a better description, when passing through the choke, potentially damaging the fixed choke area in older guns. Using steel shot in a muzzleloader is one of those proceed at your own risk practices. I would suggest thick plastic shot cups to start with, and avoid using in a jug choked barrel until discussing the idea with whoever jug choked your barrel.

Last edited:
Been awhile since I looked, but think CC.
Thanks
Larry
I just checked mine. The newer Daisey steel are bright shiny steel. The Copperhead brand BB's are copper plated steel. Magnet picks them up. Have some older full copper Daisy BB's. You will have to check them with a magnet.

Just went on the shotgun forum and they said steel BB's for an air rifle are twice as hard as the shot used in shotgun shells. Some guys said they use them but use the full non petaled shotgun wads.

Back