• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

STARTER FLINTLOCK RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bergman3376

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have never had any black powder firearm other than inline MLs, but I am very motivated to get into flintlock rifles. I am still yet to purchase my first flintlock. I am looking for suggestions for a starter full stock long rifle preferably .45cal in the $1000 price range. I am interested in some of the models TVM offers, but I'm impatient and don't know if I'm willing to wait nine months. I'm also considering some of the Pedersoli rifles but am a little hesitant to going with a factory line flintlock. I would appreciate any insight from you guys. I would post a WANTED thread in the classifieds, but I am a new member and do not have access to post there yet.

Thanks in advance for any help

The lock and how it’s placed will make or break your experience with flintlocks. With that said you appear to be ready to invest both a bit of time and money before buying, smart!

You could likely find one for sale here or buy something basic......I've had good luck on Gunbroker for deals. Of course, I haven't shot any of those. Not sure how they do but all are Thompson Center flintlocks, either Hawken or Renegade.

My advice is to buy new or used in person. I have seen so many guns with pitted bores I would be hesitant to buy a used one unless I could put a bore light down the bore or have a return policy if you are not satisfied.

For instance; I built a Beck rifle, my first, I relied on Rem Oil to protect the bore. I put it up for a few months and found to my horror that the barrel had rusted inside while I had it stored. I scrubbed and scrubbed with a scotch bright pad and JBs Bore Paste and got the barrel shiny inside again, but, on close examination there is some pitting down at the breech.

If I was unscrupulous I could sell it listed as having a "shiny bore" because it does, but leave out the pitting.

I see bore pictures all the time of TC barrels listed on eBay as having a "shiny bore", and they do but you can see the pitting if you look past the shine.

Your best bet is to go to any of the longrifle shows in your area, there will be more guns for sale new and used than you can imagine, in all price ranges.

The picture is of what could be hiding down a "shiny" bore, this the rifle I mentioned above.
Snapshot000001.jpg

Phil gave an example of an already built-in-the-white Kibler, which appears to be sold, but Kibler's are a pretty easy build....though they are listing 1 to 4 month wait at present. If you have a few basic tools and some skills, you could probably go that route for a top-quality kit and be in your budget range.

I wouldn't call a Kibler a "starter" but it would definitely be a "keeper!"

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

A Traditions Pennsylvania or Shenandoah. A Pedersoli Frontier, Kentucky or Pennsylvania. Any of these 5 would be fine and can be bought new. Check TOTW and/or the classifieds here for a used rifle. However buyer beware on used muzzleloaders!

Thank you all for the advice. The end goal is to get myself a nice custom rifle down the road, but at this point I think I'm leaning towards a factory rifle so I can just get into shooting and make my mistakes on a factory rifle instead of a custom or semi-custom rifle.

There is certainly nothing wrong with owning several Flintlock Rifles. I really like my Traditions Flintlock Kentucky in .50 caliber ... and I have a Deluxe version of this rifle with Double-Set Triggers and Brass Patchbox on order. These are very affordable, "starter" rifles. I did not want to start this endeavor with a kit.

The fit and finish of the Traditions Kentucky are remarkable, considering the prices of less than $600.

But I was just looking at the Jim Kibler site, and admiring the impeccable milling work of his stocks, the fine CNC Locks, and the prices. And those Customer photos!

Yes, these are not the custom made rifles available at Track Of The Wolf. They are also not nearly as expensive. And finally ... a fine Kit Built rifle is truly yours.

Back