• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Regarding the Adams double-action vs. the Colt single-action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There was a serious rivalry between Sam Colt and English gun maker Robert Adams for the British military market in the 1850s. Here is a "testimonial" letter from a British officer who fought in the Crimean War affirming to the superiority of the double, or "trigger," action in combat (From "The Englishman and the Revolver," Wilfrid Ward, 1990 Gun Digest):

Attachments

• image_16894721 (2).jpeg
    image_16894721 (2).jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
There was a serious rivalry between Sam Colt and English gun maker Robert Adams for the British military market in the 1850s. Here is a "testimonial" letter from a British officer who fought in the Crimean War affirming to the superiority of the double, or "trigger," action in combat (From "The Englishman and the Revolver," Wilfrid Ward, 1990 Gun Digest):
dang. wouldnt want to be in that situation. thanks for sharing

I don't put any merit on one off comments per the Brit. It may be true or it may just be Britt enthusiasm for the home team.

My early hand gun shooting was all SA (even though all but the first one was DA). At the time it was just me and control, yes people can learn to shoot DA but you have to focus on it to not yank the gun. Glock made a huge deal on one guy who learned to shoot their gun (call a striker type a quasi DA). Shoot a DA semi auto in SA and you can get better aim and quicker shots and hit what you aim to hit (and in a confrontation that becomes even more critical).

I got to shoot a 70s version of a Practical Police Course. They supplied the gun (N Frame S&W 357) and the ammo, 38 wadcutters.

I shot all but the last stage in SA. As I recall that last stage was right in front of the target. 50 rounds over multiple barriers including left handed shooting.

I had things going for me. When they lined out the course I figured out where the fast times for reload were and saved the two speed loaders we were given for that part and hand loaded from loose cartridges in my pocket for the rest as there was time to do so.

The gun sights were perfect for my eye. They had a large center to hit and get a 10 on, so it was not precision target work.
I had been shooting 41 magnum for a couple of years and full loads. The N Frame with wadcutters was like shooting a 22 (I gather they now use full loads so that any street use matches the training feel).

No one in the group of invitees did anywhere close to my score (the guy checked it 3x before he would accept it). Then he told me to go look at the school board in the lobby and told me that the instructors at their academy were there to shoot pistols so they could be on the pistol team.

I had placed in the top 5 out of 20 (again I forget, 3rd or 4th).

Obviously huge difference if someone is shooting back at you, but SA and shot placement work well unless you are so close you can't miss DA.

Well….. an old gunfighter was killed when his thumb was shot off in a gunfight. He couldn’t cock his colt single action fast enough with his other hand and was killed. I’ll take the double action please!

In the early days DA/SA was a tradeoff. Given the time of the Crimean war (1853-56) and the Battle of Inkermann (1854), the Colt choices would have been a Patterson, a Walker or 1st/2nd/3rd Model Dragoon, an 1851 Navy, or an 1848 Pocket Model; most of the Colts I've seen or read about that have a history of use in Crimea were Navies.

The only Deane & Adams available at the time were the first 5-shot spurless (DA-only) models; the only choice was caliber. From the description ("one of your largest size Revolver Pistols") officer Crosse had a Dragoon in 34 bore (.49 caliber), shooting a conical. The Adams had no recoil shield so you sometimes got bit by backflash, unhardened nipples that sometimes split, and only 5 shots--but it was DA.

The most-likely Colt option, the Navy, was .36 caliber shooting a conical, and offered 6 single-action shots. There are probably more testimonials from British officers praising the Colt, as more were carried. Not DA, but a 20% increase in shots available.

The Crimean War took place at a fascinating time that saw the introduction of rifled muskets, conical balls, and revolvers, to large-scale European battles. If you get a chance take a look at The Destroying Angel: The Rifle Musket as the First Modern Infantry Weapon by Gibbons.

I think the Italians need to produce some double action replicas. Although the Starr was a flop…😵‍💫

I think the Italians need to produce some double action replicas. Although the Starr was a flop…😵‍💫
Apparently a Spanish company should be releasing an Adams soon. I don’t think we are allowed to link other forums, but I saw a thread about it on the British Militaria Forum

*I think the company is called Arsa?

Last edited:
I looked that up. Looks nice, but the way it read is the company making it is not going to mass produce it. Just focus on high quality. There won’t be a flood of them imported here, and my guess is if anyone will import it , they will want big big money for one. I don’t think Dixie gun works will offer this one! I hope I’m wrong…..

Auldjin, can you share the caliber and approximate date of manufacture? It's just a wonderful example. Have you shot it?
It is 54 bore (0.442 inches). It is numbered 43xx (R) which I think makes 1853 the probable date of manufacture but I could well be wrong. Taylerson following UK practice, distinguishes between this type of revolver - self-cocking and the true double action which allows you to cock the revolver using the hammer (as in a single action) or do everything cocking and firing with one trigger pull.

The later Beaumont Adams was a true double action.
Deane DA (1).JPG

Being in the UK if I were to shoot it, it would cease to be treated as an antique.

Latest posts

Back