• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stainless steel nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott taylor

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a percussion rifle and noticed there were 2 holes in the nipple drilled through the sides of the nipple maybe a little below where the cap would sit. Never seen such a thing, any purpose good or bad? Some new whiz bang newfangled invention?

it is for helping the cap at firing to split apart, makes it easier for you to get the cap off after you fire the rifle.

Years ago I have used nipples like that. Have not used one for 20 years and I dont miss it.

Fleener

I remember hearing about those but never noticed one before. Probably why the gun has a flash protector on it.

Thanks to the both of you.

I think they were first made by Uncle Mike's and then others. According to the advertising of the day, "The Hot Shot Nipples provide even and consistent flow of pressurized gases into the ignition chamber." I've heard from a bunch of people who say they got better ignition reliability with a Hot Shot nipple, some say it made no difference. I read somewhere they were originally developed to provide more reliable ignition with Pyrodex, but I can't confirm that.

I've never had a problem getting a cap off a rifle or pistol. Cap and ball revolver guys like 'em because the caps fall off before they have a chance to get stuck between the frame and cylinder.

Like others have said....It is a Hotshot nipple...
Been around for at least 40 years...They work great when using powders like Pyrodex with patent breeches like the CVA/Traditions...

I used them when I first started match shooting in 85. they work great. but not good on underhammers you will get some spitting.

I have them on some of my guns.
They do blow the caps apart rather nicely, but I never noticed any improvement on ignition. But I always shoot real black powder and I am rather obsessive about making sure things are in order before I shoot.

On rifles, they are the only nipples that I use.

Picked up a really nice Pedersoli Kodiak 50, it's getting new nipples and some nice add on's from "cutfingers" and "horner75".

Going to the woods in nice style.

rde

Been shooting for a few days I figure :haha: and the only thing I see them nipples do is blow the caps off better. I have seen no change in ignition between the hot shot and a normal nipple.

Maybe they work better for Pyrodex than a normal nipple, but I never shoot the stuff in my smoke poles.

Jumpshot said:
I think they were first made by Uncle Mike's and then others. According to the advertising of the day, "The Hot Shot Nipples provide even and consistent flow of pressurized gases into the ignition chamber." I've heard from a bunch of people who say they got better ignition reliability with a Hot Shot nipple, some say it made no difference. I read somewhere they were originally developed to provide more reliable ignition with Pyrodex, but I can't confirm that.

They were designed by Dan Pawlak, the inventor of Pyrodex. They first came out about 1980. Dan was a genuine rocket scientist specializing in propellants. The nipple was designed to overcome the ignition problems with Pyrodex. Uncle Mikes may have been the first to mass market them but Dan invented them. I believe they give more reliable ignition than others on the market and are all I use now.

Cynthialee said:
Been shooting for a few days I figure :haha: and the only thing I see them nipples do is blow the caps off better. I have seen no change in ignition between the hot shot and a normal nipple.

Maybe they work better for Pyrodex than a normal nipple, but I never shoot the stuff in my smoke poles.

If your gun is already shoot/firing good then I doubt you would see much if any difference. It is designed to overcome ignition problems and inconsistencies. If you need a new nipple anyway, then it's not a bad idea to get one.

Latest posts

Back