• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stainless steel nipple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question...

These being stainless, do they hold up as well as ampco?

I am not CC, but I think so. I first started using them in the early 90's, no more hammers blown back because the nipple flash hole got bigger.

Michael

Richard Eames said:
On what basis besides your IMO only??
I tried them 25 or so years ago in a couple of my rifles. My experience was my groups went to heck. Changing back to standard nipples cured the problem. I heard them described, once, as a cure looking for a problem.

MEANMIKE, I have been using stainless nipples I make myself. I make my own touch hole liners, also. I do this because I can integrate my own ideas into the fabrication and it's satisfying to use something you make yourself.

Back in the 80's ...I never won a match without out using a hot shot nipple...Of course I was using Pyrodex......With Real Black powder I find them unnecessary...
Folks have to remember...The Hot shot was invented when Pyrodex was the only substitute powder...And, Magnum primers and 209 ignition did not exist....

Paul_R said:
I have a question...

These being stainless, do they hold up as well as ampco?

There are many alloys of stainless many of which are not suitable for nipples (or touchhole liners). Ampco is the name of a company that makes dozens and dozens of brass-alloyed products, again, many of which are not suitable for nipples or liners. Assuming manufacturers have chosen the proper alloys, it has been my experience that stainless nipples and liners don't erode or mushroom as rapidly as the Ampco alloy.

Actually Treso is the name of the company selling the ampco nipples of which I speak.

LJA said:
There are many alloys of stainless many of which are not suitable for nipples (or touchhole liners). Assuming manufacturers have chosen the proper alloys, it has been my experience that stainless nipples and liners don't erode or mushroom as rapidly as the Ampco alloy.

I have not been around stainless cones since I had to stop going to NSSA shoots in 2005. I don't doubt that with the proper alloy, SS will work, but many of the Italian made Musket and Revolver nipples were not made of the proper alloy. I wonder if this has been corrected lately?

Gus

I have a friend who shoots a 45 caliber muzzleloading bullet rifle. It generates high pressures and will eat up a normal nipple. Instead of a platinum lined nipple, he shoots Hot Shots and they seem to stand up to the extreme pressures generated better than normal nipples.

Back