• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stainless 1860 Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently aquired a stainless Colt 1860 Army. I noticed that the serial number on the wedge does not match the rest of the revolver. I know it is like a needle in a haystack chance... Any stainless Colt owners out there with a mis-matched wedge?

I think it would be kind of interesting to locate the other 1860 owner and possibly swap the wedges. :idunno:

Hi,
I had a Uberti stainless 1860 a few years back.
Sadly I sold it, and have regretted since.
The stainless 1860 Colt has to be one of the most attractive of any handgun made.
I know my response does not resolve your quest for a matching wedge, but I had to make my opinion known.
Best regards!
Fred

That is a good idea about contacting Colt. I never thought of that. I did think it would be fun to locate the owner of the revolver with a mis-matched wedge. :hmm:

Old Ford, I really like the looks of the stainless 1860. It goes nicely alongside my stainless 1851. The 1851 came from Colt's archive collection. :thumbsup:

They sure did! I think they even made a stainless 1861 Navy. When I got the 1851 Navy, I passed it by and was considering another item. But it kept calling to me. I asked to hold the revolver, and that was the end. The dang thing followed me home.

I don't recall exactly, but Colt only made a very few 1851's and about 1400 1860's. I have no idea how many 1861's they made. That stainless look just sort of grows on me. :idunno:

rick/pa said:
If I remember correctly, the 1860 Army was Colt's first stainless handgun.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
As far as I know, Colts 1860 Army Revolver was made between 1860 and 1873... Stainless Steel was not invented before 1900. :hmm:

Remember: If its not a COLT it's just a copy!

The idea and basic make-up for stainless steel was invented (discovered?) in various stages starting about 1820, and what we might consider 'stainless steel' (but isn't stainless steel by the modern definition) was patented around the 1870s, but couldn't be made consistently or in commercial quantities as the importance of the carbon content wasn't understood. It wasn't until the late 1890s that a process for making stainless steel was invented, and it was around 1905-1910 when actual stainless steel as we call it today started in production.

So no, there are no original stainless steel Colt percussion pistols. Shiny guns of the period were nickel plated.

Ike Godsey said:
rick/pa said:
If I remember correctly, the 1860 Army was Colt's first stainless handgun.

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
As far as I know, Colts 1860 Army Revolver was made between 1860 and 1873... Stainless Steel was not invented before 1900. :hmm:

Remember: If its not a COLT it's just a copy!
I suspect rick/pa means that the stainless steel "second generation" Colt--which was indeed a Colt product--was Colt's first stainless gun. Not that Colt made a Stainless gun in the 19th century. But I could be wrong.

According to the Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values, there were three stainless steel models made by Colt for the Second Generation series.

In 1982 Colt produced 490, 1851 Navy pistols with square back trigger guards.
In the same year (1982) they produced 1596, model 1860 Army pistols and 8, 1861 Navy's. (With only 8 of these Navy's made the value for a NIB gun in 2003 was $6,750.) :shocked2:

The book shows no stainless steel reproductions in the Third Generation, "Signature Series" production.

For the price and scarcity of the 1861 Navy Stainless, I don't think I'll be looking for one anymore. :idunno: Two out of three ain't bad.

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
I recently aquired a stainless Colt 1860 Army. I noticed that the serial number on the wedge does not match the rest of the revolver. I know it is like a needle in a haystack chance... Any stainless Colt owners out there with a mis-matched wedge?

I think it would be kind of interesting to locate the other 1860 owner and possibly swap the wedges. :idunno:

Finally got to check numbers on my 1860 stainless 2nd Generations at my secure storage. No non-matching numbers on mine.

As you say it's like finding a needle in a haystack, but it is good to work at it with nice guns like these. Best of good luck in your search.

Thanks for checking. I appreciate the effort. So far, you are the first positive "negative". :rotf:

Latest posts

Back