• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stain for curly maple knife handle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asabai

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am making a couple of knives from Green River blanks. I want to make the handle with curly maple scales, and would like to know what kind of finish would bring out the curl and still stand up to being washed frequently.

Another question that I have is where to get a counter sink for the rivets?

A good marine varnish might be the best thing to use. If you have a good gunstock finish, or BLO, or tung oil, all of them will give you a durable finish that can withstand many washings, too.

Rusty: One method for countersinking I saw way back somewhere was to find a box nail with head the same size as your rivet head. Then file a notch in the the top of the head of the nail sloping toward the direction the drill turns. To countersink, you put the nail through the hole in the scale and the tang, chuck ithe point in a drill, and pull the drill "bit" into the scale instead of pushing it. Easier to show than explain, but it is a simple method.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Please write more suggestions if you have them. I made my own countersink for the first knife I made, but it didn’t work out well, so I was hoping to find one I could buy. I might give it another try though.

Do a search on the forum for stains and finishes on rifles/ stocks. All will work for you. Some that have been mentioned are the very good LMF stains and finish, the ongoing experimentation with vinegar stain, using Lye to bring out the grain, etc. My last knife handle was finished with Tru Oil. Very nice durable finish.

The nice thing about knife handles is that they are small and it you really mess it up, you can make a new set a lot faster than a new stock. :wink:

I've use a lot of exhibition grade fiddleback, birdseye and burl maple for projects, and consider the aniline dyes (not the water soluable varieties) the very best at bringing out the color contrast of the wood while not plugging the depth of the figure like stains do. Just mix in a catalist to whatever strength you want it. A little goes a long ways (as in drops per pint/quart of catalist). Finish of choice over it (I prefer a 100% pure tung oil finish built up over several coats followed by pure white flake carnauba wax).

I use a forstner bit that cuts a flat bottom hole for flush mounting cutlery rivets. Took some doing to find the right size to modify though.

I normally use Dangler Stains or Fiebings Shoe Dye for the maple, and Tru-Oil on the finish. Do not use Tung Oil as it is Not waterproof & eventually you will have a cloudy finish if you wash the knife allot.
Glue the handles on with Devcon 2000 epoxy when you mount the handles. Sand/roughen the handle steel before applying the epoxy. Clamp them while drying.
As for the rivets & the drill bit, go to [url] www.texasknives.com[/url] and they have the rivets & the proper forstner bit for the rivets, etc. Keep in mind you have to sometimes adjust the length of the rivet if it is too long for the thickness you are putting it into, and you shorten Both parts of the rivet. Don't forget you are countersinking the rivet & you must compensate in measuring for that also.

Good Luck !! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back