• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stain for straight grain maple.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finishing up a rifle that I had built for me. The stock is a nice straight grain maple and I want to stain it so that it brings out the grain in the wood. I don't want it to be too dark, but not blonde either. What would be a good stain for this wood?

Attachments

• 20230702_130957.jpg
    20230702_130957.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230702_131017.jpg
    20230702_131017.jpg
    973 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230702_131435.jpg
    20230702_131435.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230702_131424.jpg
    20230702_131424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Trans-Tint Reddish Brown alcohol based stain.

You need to find out if Aqua Fortis will work on plain maple.

AF may not produce the effect you're looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.JPG
    IMG_2846.JPG
    594.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Third the "aqua fortis" (iron nitrate solution). I make my own by using ferric nitrate crystals dissolved in distilled water or alcohol. I prefer to make my own that way as opposed to dissolving nails in nitric acid because it's a lot safer and I can control he concentration to get the shade I want. You can test a spot, blush it with a heat gun, and wet it with alcohol to see what it will look like finished. If you want darker, soak in more coats or increase concentration. If you hate it, sand it off and start experimenting with alcohol dyes.

Ferric nitrate from the jungle website at 1 tsp/fluid ounce water, two coats, after finishing (ash stock, yours will be different).

20230218_152153.jpg

20230219_175713.jpg

20230219_175608.jpg

Third the "aqua fortis" (iron nitrate solution). I make my own by using ferric nitrate crystals dissolved in distilled water or alcohol. I prefer to make my own that way as opposed to dissolving nails in nitric acid because it's a lot safer and I can control he concentration to get the shade I want. You can test a spot, blush it with a heat gun, and wet it with alcohol to see what it will look like finished. If you want darker, soak in more coats or increase concentration. If you hate it, sand it off and start experimenting with alcohol dyes.

Ferric nitrate from the jungle website at 1 tsp/fluid ounce water, two coats, after finishing (ash stock, yours will be different).

View attachment 233041

View attachment 233039

View attachment 233040
Ianh? my eyes are bad tonight, was that ash spalted? i am building with a plank of local birch right now and it has some spalting.
that is a handsome stock. handsome, right before beautiful.:D

Jim Kibler called it "bubbly" ash for lack of a better description. It's unusual if nothing else, I really like it. He sold all the best ones before I found out he had a few from this one, odd tree but I begged him out of a cull stock that had some blowouts and fixed it up. I agonized over stain for weeks but between advice from J. W. Filipski and some finishes Mark Elliot did I got it worked out just the way I wanted.

Barrel channel blowout repair:

20230219_175555.jpg

View attachment 233041

View attachment 233039

View attachment 233040
That stock is crazy, congratulations. Probably Never see one like that again.

If you use aqufortis, I would dilute it to about 50-50 with water, straight out of the bottle the wood can be very dark and get darker with time, this has been my experience.

Here is maple with a 50-50 mix and one coat. I donate these bow tillering tools to a St Jude auction. These are not made from the same chunk of wood and why the color varies piece to piece. The good folk here and on the ALR site sent me several boxes of cutoffs to make the donated tools with, I ended up with 45# of cutoffs, a lifetime supply. I have raised about 3K donating these tools so far, the auction is held every year.

4 gizmos.JPG

Aqufortis straight out of the bottle, one coat. I used it on the hickory ramrod as well followed by diluted mahogany leather dye to make a match to the stock wood. I like a ramrod to disappear under the gun.

haines entry pipe.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back