• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Square OK ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Levi

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with making square patches as opposed to round ones ? I can make them a lot less expensively than I can buy them.

I have several friends who shoot square patches and they shoot very well. I usually cut my patch material into strips and then cut at the muzzle. When doing that I lube with spit. However, when shooting a woods walk in winter or hunting I use bear oil for lube ( spit freezes) and use precut square patches. I thread the patches on a heavy thread that I hang from my shooting bag. I pull them off one at a time and stuff them down. Can't seem to see any difference in performance.

I cut my patch material into long strips. Roll it up, secure it with an HC/PC rubber band and toss it into the shooting bag. Stores real easy. If I want, I'll cut a couple of strips into squares with scissors. Takes only a minute and very handy. Or cut square with a patch knife during loading.

I have found no difference between shooting round vs square.:thumbsup:

The cheapest method of patching is to cut at the muzzle. I never seemed to have much fabric left over using ups strip.
The only criteria for patching is that when loaded it offers a nice fabric belt around the ball to create ,at best, a perfect seal to keep all the power of the powder behind the patched ball and not allowing all that force to bypass, even a little bit, the patched ball..

Cutting at the muzzle gives you a perfect patch every time.

Dutch

Len Graves said:
I thread the patches on a heavy thread that I hang from my shooting bag. I pull them off one at a time and stuff them down. Can't seem to see any difference in performance.

Interesting. I just had a thought, I'd bet that a shower curtain hanger would be perfect to store your patches, ready for use. It would hold a couple dozen, or so, clipped around the strap of your possibles bag. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you do the arithmetic and figure out how fast the patch is spinning when it exits the barrel, you'll see that it spreads out into the atmosphere and is left behind by the ball in what is most probably a matter of milliseconds ... think of a parachute deployment, only at a zillion times normal speed.

therefore, the shape of the patch isn't going to have an effect on the path of the ball on it's way to the target.

now, you may, if you want, spend a great deal of energy and time researching this problem, but I would recommend a method which is more fun and will provide you the results in which you will have the most confidence:

try it for yourself. if you do this, you'll have a great excuse to go to the range and shoot ("Are you going to shoot that stupid gun again?" ... "I've got to do some testing. honey, i'll be back by lunchtime... " - ok - I don't eat lunch at four in the afternoon either... )

AND

you won't have to spend a bunch of your valuable time listening to pontificators (like, for instance, me) and that's even more time you get to spend at the range...

betcha a case of beer you get the same result with round as you do with square as you do with cut at the muzzle.

(I cut mine at the muzzle, but that's only 'cause I think it looks cool)

there you go: free advice, and no doubt well worth the price.

Make good smoke! :v

I cut at the muzzle also. But I have a thing for knives. So that gives me a great reason to buy more knives until I find just the right one. :grin:

If you recover any "cut at muzzle" patches you will find they are square with rounded corners.I don't think it is necessary to round your corners. If you have a steady hand or access to a "paper cutter" you can make a lot of square patches from a yrd. of pillow ticking for very little cost/patch. :idunno:

I started off punching out nice round patches. One day I got to wondering if square patches would work as well (I couldn't see why not) so I cut some and guess what? The rifle didn't seem to care and they worked just as well as round ones.

So now I cut square ones - much quicker and easier to make.

I use square patches for shooting and cleaning. I use my wife's cutting mat and fabric cutter kit, which comes with a long straight edge. I can cut 6-8 layers of fabric at a time and it makes 500 patches really fast. I have never heard anyone say they could see any difference in the accuracy.

I bought one of those round cutting wheel fabric cutters, but found it a pain to use. I bought a pair of battery-operated scissors(only because they were on sale for $5!)and then found they're great for cutting fabric strips. I use a suitably wide straightedge, draw a pencil line and then run the scissors along it. Much easier than the roller cutter.

A couple of points to consider.
Round patches load easier because there are no corners to stick out and compress over the edge of the loading jag.
They also use up less material than does cutting at the muzzle or square patches.
With the right tool they are faster to make than are cutting out squares with scissors.
They can also be equally lubed by placing in a pill bottle and wetting them down with windshield washing fluid for cold weather. They will work in the hot and dry or cold and freezing equally well.
I punch them out a dozen at a time from strips made of felt Field and Stream brand shirts I've worn out. They consistently mic .018 and are the correct thickness and of tight weave for the ball diameters I like and use.
I've yet to find a better patch material anywhere. Mike D.

Back