• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Diameter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNWtrekker

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am probably doing something wrong but black powder seems to take A LOT of patches. My inventory was getting low so a headed to local big box sporting goods store. A bag of patches was almost as much as a 100 round balls. Luckily, I have a stack of white t-shirts in the rag bin. Since I am custom cutting, I was curious what diameter I should cut them for 0.36, 0.50, and 0.54 calibers. I am planning on cutting them into squares unless someone convinces me that's a really bad idea.

Sounds like something I'd be interested in.I got a stack of T shirts as well but I think they might be a "little too thin" to be used as patches.

3/4 inch for the .36...1 1/4 inch for the .50 and .54...

You will use less when you plug your touch hole, fill the barrel with water, pour out...Run 2 patches through, then repeat, dry, swab with rubbing alcohol, then WD-40, dry and lightly oil...

This method pours out most of the residue early...

I am probably doing something wrong but black powder seems to take A LOT of patches. My inventory was getting low so a headed to local big box sporting goods store. A bag of patches was almost as much as a 100 round balls. Luckily, I have a stack of white t-shirts in the rag bin. Since I am custom cutting, I was curious what diameter I should cut them for 0.36, 0.50, and 0.54 calibers. I am planning on cutting them into squares unless someone convinces me that's a really bad idea.
You have the correct advice above. Old T shirts are perfect. Get some good scissors and your in business.

Just cut them into long strips , easier . When you seat the ball just cut the patch glush with muzzle and push er down the tube ....easy peezy . I tie the strip to my pouch too , very handy for loading . And , yeah ...just buy cheap.or free t shirts ... Note cotton in them the better though , 50/50 is fine ....

"Patches" is a little confusing. For cleaning patches, t-shirts are fine. And the size is not important. Nor is the fabric content.

For shooting patches, a denser weave (like 100% cotton drill cloth) is preferred, and the diameter is dependent on the ball size, as noted. Most suppliers of shooting patches have sizes for, say, .32-.40, .40-.49, .50-.59, etc., and different thickness (.015, .020, etc.).

Synthetics (like 50-50 cotton polyester) will leave burnt plastic in the bore is used for shooting patches.

Patches are, indeed, a large part of shooting muzzleloaders. I use three patches for every shot I take: One for the round ball (shooting patches), then two (one damp, one dry) for between-shot wiping. I buy cloth in bulk for shooting patches, and lots of used t-shirts or old flannel sheets for cleaning.

ADK Bigfoot

Back