• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spooky Trigger On MY CVA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My CVA Hawken set trigger works just fine and the the trigger is safe (will not drop the hammer when cocked and slammed on the ground), but it is spooky as a ghost when it comes to pulling the trigger. Way to light. Hardly any force is required to get it to break the sear. I would guess under a pound is all that is required to get the gun to go bang. I have searched the board and it seems that everyone wants to make them lighter I want to do the opposite. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Now I like light triggers but just the action of reaching forward and slipping my finger onto the trigger will make the gun go bang. I'll try to get my trigger scale on it tonight.

Have you tried us8ng the adjustment screw. It's the one on the underside between the two triggers.

Screw the screw that is between the two triggers out (counterclockwise).

This won't make the trigger pull lighter but it will make the distance the front trigger needs to move to release the rear trigger greater.
The extra movement can help to stop the gun from firing when the trigger is just "touched".

You can also shim the front trigger spring to put more tension on the front trigger. I've nevwer had an Italian kit gun. I don't know how the spring runs. I put a shim under mine where the spring goes over the hump in the trigger plate.

I like my trigger after the set to be very light my thoughts are that you shouldn't set the trigger until your on target and ready to fire. My .45 custom southern rifle is set so light that just pushing on the side of the trigger will drop the hammer.

I like my trigger after the set to be very light my thoughts are that you shouldn't set the trigger until your on target and ready to fire.
My trigger is just like that. It will remind you to not touch the trigger until you are ready to fire. If you whisper too loudly, anywhere close to the trigger, it goes boom.

Latest posts

Back