• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spent some time shooting today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the Renegade .54 out for some shooting today.
I tried a thicker patch and the cci magnum caps.
Not a single missfire or hang fire. Ignition was perfect every shot. I think I am gonna get more of the magnum caps. I like them.
The patch was the .015 pre-lubed ones. I still need a thicker patch. I was worried I wouldnt be able to seat a thicker patch but it seems it was unfounded.
As I was shooting the fact I needed tighter patches was bugging me and I came up with what I think was a brilliant imediate solution to my issue. Before I patched my last few balls I set them in a doubled over piece of ciggarette rolling paper on the ball. So it was double patched. Worked rather well to be honest. It got me alot closser to my bullseye.
I didn't get any bullseyes today which kinda bummed me out. I am ussualy good for at least one per shooting session...
:idunno:

Anyways, I ran out of powder before I ran out of steam as I only brought a small day horn with me. (cute little thing that was gifted to me by a very nice guy)

Why am I posting this?
Just so I can brag I got to make smoke today.
:grin:

It's always a nice day when you can make some smoke! :thumbsup: I plan on going tomorrow, First time in close to a month, Threw my back out cleaning up after the Hurricane. :( Different Meds have gotten me feeling much better the last 3 days.

cynthialee said:
a bad day of shooting beats a good day of work

this implies, of course that there are 'good days at work,' which is open to debate... after all, if work was all that great, you would pay them to do it, not the other way 'round.

OK= that's my rant for today ...

The secret to success is to find someone dumb enough to pay you for doing what you would do for free...............watch yer top knot...............

I went and found most of my patches. Verdict is that if I use corn meal over powder it seems the patches are fairing real well. I could use them again if I was so inclined. (also the shots I took with cornmeal were closser to my target)

The shots I took without the corn meal faired better than the thiner patches I had been using, but I can tell I need an even thicker patch. The corn meal does help make up for my patch fail though, so there is all that.

oh yeah...
Renegade .54 with .530 round ball, .015 pre-lubed, 75-85 grains of 3F and 2 .45 shells worth of corn meal on the shots I used cornmeal, cci #11 magnum. (I do not own a .45 auto and never would, I just found the empty shell on the ground one day and kept it for a measure.)

Good for you getting out to shoot. Aint it relaxing?

Those T.C 54 caliber guns I've had in the past shot better for me with at least a .018 inch patch and a wet type of lube such as spit or any type of aqueous solvent soaked patch. Its my experience that greased patches are for hunting and wet patches are for target shooting. If you have a good damp patch it will condition the bore while seating the ball making shot to shot consistancy better than grease. Greased patches maybe ok if you swab the bore each shot, but swabbing a percussion gun between shots causes gunk to be shoved into the firing chamber and nipple area unless you have a jag/cleaning patch combination that pulls the fouling out. When shooting in competition my bore stays easy to load the whole match. I use .021 inch canvas patching from Jo-Anns fabrics and saturate them with moosemilk and squeeze it out. Drill that ther bullseye pretty regular. Almost all of our shooting is offhand here. I shoot in matches all the way out to 200 yards. Greased patches have never been consistant for me no matter. Some people have luck with them and I still use them when hunting. But before the teflon patching came out I believe all top shooters at Friendship used a soaked in moosemilk type of patch.

Bob

I'm impressed you had rolling paper.... ;)

I don't care for prelubed patches, prefer to do it myself and I usually use more lube than they come with...

I had the rolling paper because I was thinking it might work for an over powder wad. Not a good plan as the paper came out on fire and it lit some grass on fire. :redface:
As a supliment to the patch there was no issues as it was just one paper, but when I tried it as an over powder wad I ussed about 5 of them...

I buy dry patches and lube them with olive oil. Thats what I found has worked the best for me.
I have a T/C 50 cal Hawken that I use a 490rb and .016 patch lubed with the above mentioned Olive Oil..for my double wedge 54 cal.hawken I use a 530 rb and .018 patches lubed with the same.
Both are tack drivers and have VERY reliable ignition. I plan on shooting Sunday, if the weather holds out. :v

If you use felt or leather or fiber over powder wad it will protect the patch much the same as the corn meal did. Seems a bit easier to use than a loose substance such as corn meal, cream of wheat , grits or any thing else like that. In the mid 80's I began using a dry patch wadded up on top of my powder to keep excess lube from killing my powder. I had never had a problem with it but saw friends have it happen to them and I wanted to prevent it.................watch yer top knot............

Olive Oil ? Now why didn't I think of that. Is it a good patch lube for hunting or just for target shooting.
Thanks
Vearl

actually I use it for both hunting and target shooting..although I don't know how it fairs in sub zero temps. I just make sure if I'm hunting I squeeze out all the excess oil from my patch. I've never had any misfires, nor patches burn through.
Good Luck!

Ok I'm gonna go ahead and look dumb, what does "watch your top knot" mean???

I also have just taken an cleaning patch wadded up and put that between the powder and prb, sems to work fine for me

Sam86 said:
Ok I'm gonna go ahead and look dumb, what does "watch your top knot" mean???

I also have just taken an cleaning patch wadded up and put that between the powder and prb, sems to work fine for me
Comes from the movie Jerimia Johnson. Means 'don't get scalped'.

I use an OP felt wad in all my ML it has olive oil and beeswax mixed in it as do all my patches,for the most part I've found I can use just a little thinner patch for easy loading and the felt swabs the bore as it is placed over the powder,doesn't clog the patent breach up as the powder is already seated

Back