• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Excuse Me, I'm Loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only time I've dry balled was when distracted by interested folks. Most are impressed when the ball is expelled with a minute amount of powder after removing the touch hole. They had no Ibrahim that a small load could send the lead so far down range.

I instructed for many years both youth and adults, typically I continue what I am doing while telling them each step and why then taking questions or comments after getting done. That way I am simply reinforcing each step outloud that I am already doing silently. That is way I have handled it for last 40 years

Preparation is everything, I lay out my equipment the same way every time I shoot. For a thirteen shot match i lay out 13 powder capsules, 13 patches! And 13 Ball. I don’t allow people to speak to me while I’m loading don’t even like asking/telling them to wait until I have shot the load. Yes I have dryballed but not for a long time and yes every now and then usually after being distracted by something happening elsewhere on the line I have to check how many capsules/patches/ball I have used. My range and ram rods are marked with a “loaded” mark. Preparation IS everything.

The same goes for a range "Clear". Once powder is down the barrel I refuse to "clear". They have to wait until I finish loading and the shot is down range.
'
My nearest club has a switch that you hit to trigger an alarm to let everyone know you're going downrange. Usually people ask if it's ok with everybody, but for some reason when I'm shooting a muzzleloader, more than once I've had people hit the switch and start walking downrange and I've had to yell at them that I'm mostly loaded. They must think that because the rifle isn't on the bench pointing downrange that it must be clear.

I never dry-ball while talking to someone because I don't take the rifle off the bench until there's powder in my measure, but I have short-started enough times to be glad I have a heavy barrel and a small caliber. It's always an awful feeling when you hear that hollow sound rather than the usual boom.

As a developer, I'm used to using the "rubber duck" technique - step thru the code, explaining the what and the why and such as you go. Works even when explaining to an inanimate object, hence the name. So talking to someone as I load, explaining each step and the how and the why doesn't bother me in the least - to be honest, I spoke to myself out loud while doing it for the first time, and I had the range to myself. I'm also an adjunct instructor, so I'm used to teaching practical skills. So that side of me comes out if someone approaches me at the bench.

If you really want to be annoyed by people approaching at the range, try shooting unmentionables that come with tax stamps and long waits to possess... especially the one with the tripod mount and belt feed.

Back