• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spark Direction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treerat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've built several Siler percussion locks without any problems and am now in the proccess of learning flint tuneing. After getting the frizzen heat treated on my small Siler Friday all the mechanics seem to work great and she throws some pretty good sparks. The only thing is most of those sparks look like they are hitting ahead of the flash pan towards the frizzen screw. Will bending the hammer change this? Undestand that I haven't tried to set off any prime with her yet and don't plan to make any changes till the rifle is finished. Am I worrying about a non problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Probably a non problem.
I think if you put some priming powder in the pan it would light about every time.

If it didn't, you might consider grinding the metal forward of the existing trough away to the same depth as the existing pan.

I would not try to mess with the cock at all. The chanches of screwing up the flint angle and the place it is hitting the frizzen are too great. (I'm sure you've heard "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? This is a "Don't break it trying to fix something else"). :: ::

Back