• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tac,
The ramrod is one of the more unique features. In the group titled ramrod, first three photos it shows the ramrod installed, then removed and lastly just started into the entrance pipe. It is full length and must stop very close to the butt-plate. It is tapered and very flexible, appears original. The lock is very positive and the fullcock pin retracts as it goes to half cock. I am hoping that someone has a reference to this lock. It looks extremely well made.

BrianL,

My first and last glance at this lock tells me it is without a doubt a percussion miquelet lock. Those half cock/full cock sears protruding through the lockplate make it a miquelet lock. The pattern is from the Madrid lock or ala moda originating from the early 1700's of the influences of a French king on the Spanish throne in Madrid. The Madrid lock is almost indistinguishable from the ordinary French flintlock, with the laterally-operating sears being the only Spanish connection to the classic Spanish miquelet lock. The pattern of the flint miquelet carried on into the caplock era.

Spanish barrels were all the rage in Europe for decades so your barrel is no surprise, however, that stock is not one I would associate with Spain. Looks way too French to me. Just an opinion, mind you.

Brian:
I'd shoot it in a heartbeat.I love seeing sights on old smoothbores.Take that nmlra.You got a true treasure, I'd take that hunting.
Nit Wit

I will be giving it a really good going over for any cracks in the wrist area because that ramrod channel has to have weakened the structure somewhat.

After the great lead from miqueleter, I did a search of the lock and while I found little about that, I did find a gun that just sold at antique auction that has similar lines in the stock, and inlays in the barrel. Spanish blunderbuss, circa 1830.

display_858_SPANISH_MIQUELET_BLUNDERBUSS_BY_PEDRO_IBARZABAL__DATED_1830_633705575854218750.jpg

display_858_SPANISH_MIQUELET_BLUNDERBUSS_BY_PEDRO_IBARZABAL__DATED_1830_633705575865312500.jpg

display_858_SPANISH_MIQUELET_BLUNDERBUSS_BY_PEDRO_IBARZABAL__DATED_1830_633705576583593750.jpg

display_858_SPANISH_MIQUELET_BLUNDERBUSS_BY_PEDRO_IBARZABAL__DATED_1830_633705576585625000.jpg

Brian: Thanks so much for posting the additional pics. Can't believe you were the only one bidding on this? Wish I had seen it :doh:
That is a super nice - and interesting gun.
The ramrod channel extending all the way to the butt stock is curious. :hmm: Appears to be a real high quality sporting arm, and in super condition. If the barrel checks out, I would shoot it! Speaking of which: Will a #11 percussion cap fit the existing nipple? Thanks again for posting. Congrats!! :hatsoff: Rick.

Back