• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spanish?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw this on GB all summer and finally bid. Any ideas what it is? Bore is about .640 at muzzle
pix519686099_zps362b2167.jpg

pix457451624_zpscf847a91.jpg

pix377311193_zps31d51464.jpg

pix613863951_zps6cbfcf21.jpg

pix105726039_zps7d6d8a48.jpg

Yes, the language IS Spanish - Valencia is a major city in Spain.

The very poor partial images of the barrel read - top line - 'In Valencia in the year of/ Anniversary of......' and the bottom row reads Made for Carlos Alonzo----------'

The top row SHOULD be read AFTERWARDS - so it REALLY reads - 'Made in Valencia for Carlos Alonzo ---------- in the year of/Anniversary of ---

La Herradura is a coastal bay resort in Southern Spain - The beautiful bay of La Herradura is the envy of Almuñécar and one of the prettiest bays along the south coast of Spain. Two huge natural promontories, the Punta de la Mona and Cerro Gordo, protect a 2 km long sand beach that's one of the principal attractions to the area. Unlike almost anywhere along the coast, development has been restricted in height and you can still enjoy the contours of the natural setting.

The village of La Herradura lies to the eastern end of the bay where the main N340 road comes closest to the sea. At this point, by the gasoline station, there's the principal turning off the main road into the pueblo and down onto the beachfront.

However, the connection with such an ornate and high-class firearm is not clear.

Anyhow. I thought ALL you 'mercans spoke Spanish? :stir:

tac

tac said:
Yes, the language IS Spanish - Valencia is a major city in Spain.

The very poor partial images of the barrel read - top line - 'In Valencia in the year of/ Anniversary of......' and the bottom row reads Made for Carlos Alonzo----------'

The top row SHOULD be read AFTERWARDS - so it REALLY reads - 'Made in Valencia for Carlos Alonzo ---------- in the year of/Anniversary of

However, the connection with such an ornate and high-class firearm is not clear.

Anyhow. I thought ALL you 'mercans spoke Spanish? :stir:

tac

Most of us that speak a foreign language around here speak French............ :blah:

I will post better pictures when I have it in hand.

Well, I'm the only one in my family who DOES speak French, so I get to go along to anything happening in Québec.

Whether I want to or not.

BTW, I only learnt Spanish so that I could question prisoners of war.

It's a nice gun though, but please measure all dimensions in metric - the Spanish did not make imperial sized anything. You have told us nothing about it - is it smooth or rifled? I'm guessing from the bore that it is rifled - but where did it come from and what's the story?

tac

I talked to the pawnbroker last night and was told that the gun came is as part of a collection of about a dozen that the seller's father had collected during his career in international sales. He had mentioned the Middle East, Europe, Eastern Europe and England. The bulk of the collection were even more ornate and oddly shaped guns that from his description pointed to the Arab countries :idunno:

This one was listed as a 20 gauge. I asked him to remove the barrel from the stock for shipping. He was hesitant as he was not familiar with dis-assembly. I walked him through how I thought it should go as it has a barrel wedge. The interesting part here was that he said that a screw through the side was the only other attachment. He stated that the metal that was enclosed in the stock was a different color but was rust-less and that there was no sign of powder pitting around the nipple but that the nipple was somewhat battered. I assume that this was from dry-firing over the years. If you are correct and that it was a presentation piece, it may be unfired. It has a very interesting wedding band at the transition point. The broker said that the bore looked dusty but not rusty. I am wondering about the short ramrod. Is it possible that it extends back into the stock?

Hi Brian. That is a really nice looking Spanish piece. Appears in great condition too. Congratulations! If you get a chance, maybe you can post some additional photos in better lighting? Beautiful barrel. Thanks for posting. :hatsoff: Rick.

pix107614446_zps68a98fc5.jpg

Auction Description and only another picture.

This auction is for a Black Powder Shotgun in 20 Gauge in Excellent Condition.

SPECS:
Barrel Length: 33.00"
Overall Length: 50.30"
Weight: 128oz (8.0 lbs)
Frame: Blued Steel
Finish: Blued
Capacity: 1 Shot
Sights: Bead
Stock: Hard Wood.

It has a 33.00" Barrel, Single Shot, Bead Sights and Hard Wood Stock. I do NOT have the original box and paperwork for this item. It is in Excellent Condition. Bore is in Excellent condition.

Now to wait while it makes the perilous journey across the country

Shine said:
The gun is Spanish but the art is pure north Africa.

That will be the Moorish influence in Spain. Valencia was the capital of Moorish Spain for about four hundred years. You could say the same thing about Californian/Spanish architecture - just as much African as Southern Spanish.

tac

Have the gun in hand. Only one thought comes to mind. Why didn't anyone bid on this?

A few particulars: This gun is light, very ornate. there are a few small cracks around the lockplate, nice walnut stock, even the screws are engraved. The ramrod goes all the way back to, or very near the butt-plate. The lock is not spanish and has external engagement for both the half and full cock. I will start putting in a few pics starting with the lock and sights
IMG_3800.jpg

IMG_3799.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

The bore is in very good condition with some surface imperfections but no dicernable pits. There is evidence of being fired with some corrosion around the nipple. It is very quick and comes to point easily with a LOP of 13 3/4"

Now the question.....should I shoot it?

What is the actual bore size? Or did I miss that?
If everything looks really good, I would probably shoot it with a light charge. First shot would be by tying it to a tree and pulling the string -- just to be sure.

BrianL said:
The bore is in very good condition with some surface imperfections but no dicernable pits. There is evidence of being fired with some corrosion around the nipple. It is very quick and comes to point easily with a LOP of 13 3/4"

Now the question.....should I shoot it?

Well, I see that the full inscription on the barrel reads made in Valencia in the year 1844 for...[see my earlier post].

I am not familar with the name on the lock - suffice it to say that Niederleitner is a well-known Austrian family name.

The connection between that lock and a gun made for a Spanish-named gentleman with connections to a very particular region of Southern Spain - engendering a Moorish-style percussion shotgun, is way past my experience.

The short ram-rod appears to be useless in the extreme - how it might be used to load a gun that plainly more than double its length must be open to question.

tac

Latest posts

Back