• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Strange percussion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw this strange rifle listed on GB. Just when you think you've seen it all. I guess this is a rifle you could load from the breech? what holds the loose powder in the chamber area? or does it use a paper cartridge? Must leak a good bit of gas on firing. Search for "Strange" to see more on GB.

1693785706544.png

I have seen similar rifles on The cap and ball and iv8888 youtube channels. Similar in that they were percussion rifles that loaded from the breech like that. One had a breech block that contained the chamber that pivoted up to be loaded from the front then pivoted down inline with the breech. That one was kind of a muzzleloader. This one is more like a breechloading sharps and probably used paper cartridges at some point. A suppository gun for sure.

Looks like a paper cartridge would be loaded into the breech block itself.

The tail of the paper cartridge would be directly under the nipple.

When fired the bullet enters the barrel and get swagged down into the rifling.

Too bad there isn't a pic of the hole in the sliding block.

Looks like a paper cartridge would be loaded into the breech block itself.

The tail of the paper cartridge would be directly under the nipple.

When fired the bullet enters the barrel and get swagged down into the rifling.

Too bad there isn't a pic of the hole in the sliding block.
Yeah, that must be how it works. Hadn't thought of that.

Back