• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Southern Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGGLOVER

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have been reading that the Southern Rifles with deep Cresenct buts are supposed to be shot from the arm rather than the shoulder. Does this change how length of pull is measured or can you generally use your regular length of pull?

Others probably do it differently but I've found I like to make mine with a little bit longer LOP. My Jaeger is one of the first rifles I made. It has a 13.5" LOP and fits me perfectly. When I made my first southern rifle I made it 13.5 and it always feels a little short. The last couple have 14" LOP and feel just right

I want one of the Kibler Southern Mountain rifle kits badly, and drool over the pics daily. I have the concern that it will be way too short, especially for the across the chest type position. I have just put butt cuffs over crescent butt plates on lever actions for shooting the and liked the extra length but it would definitely harm the aesthetics.

I don't really mind shooting modern rifles with short lengths of pull, especially in the winter but I've never tried shooting across my chest with the butt on my arm. Martin9's experiance makes sense to my logic that it should be just a little longer. Nothing better than advise from those who've already went down that road.

I don't think I can answer the OP's question, but as the topic is "Southern Rifles," I don't see any harm in extending the discussion a little.

Today's stock makers have selected "typical" rifles from the past to use as models for their pre-carved stock patterns. I think it is accepted that a lot of southern mountain rifles have more drop and possibly a somewhat longer LOP than rifles from some other areas. I believe several factors may have been at play. One was certainly shooting style. We wonder if another might have been climate. It does indeed get cold in the mountains of north Georgia, but maybe not quite as cold as in Pennsylvania, and winters may not be quite as long. This pertains to the discussion of the effect of heavy clothing on one's preferred length of pull.

One other point I have not seen discussed is "anthropometrics," or the study of human proportions. Human populations in the 18th and 19th centuries were smaller and less mobile, and possibly of more uniform ethnicity. Horace Kephart explored this concept as it related to the white people of the Great Smoky Mountains in his book, Our Southern Highlanders. Kephart indicated the typical mountaineers of his day tended to be tall, thin, and lanky... Just the body type that would "fit" a rifle with more drop and a longer LOP. We wonder if this might have factored into the stock design of those classic southern mountain rifles. Maybe some of the stock patterns developed in the various "schools" of Pennsylvania gumaking originated in a similar way, being designed to fit the typical body type of the most common ethic group of each area. I recall reading that some of the northern Indians complained to the Hudson's Bay Company that the stocks of some of the trade guns were "too straight," bearing in mind that many of those customers were Athabascan people, who tended to be tall. The old Green River Rifle Works took this into account when they designed the stock of their own Northwest gun, taking the pattern (I believe) from an original Leman gun, which had more drop than the typical British muskets.

As for myself, I am thin but short. Obviously, a shorter-than-common LOP will fit me better, but I also need less drop. If there is too much drop in a rifle stock, it tips the muzzle down and I have to "hunt" for the front sight. My people are all southern, but from the Deep South rather than the mountains, probably reflecting a greater admixture from other nations than in the nearly pure stock Kephart encountered in those isolated mountain communities.

Just a few random thoughts, probably worth about what you paid for them.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back