• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for unwaxed lenin thread.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that you have ordered but here's a link to check out next time around. I bought the roll linked and find it to be high quality and tough stuff. I stitch with it and make bowstrings out of it. A large selection.

www.pyrosupplies.com

20220225_145705_copy_800x600.jpg

I opened this thread just to get a chuckle at the responses. You all did not disappoint.

I will be waxing the thread after the needles are attached. There is a method for tapering the thread prior to attaching the needles that can't be done with waxed thread.
Did you actually think people were going to read and pay attention to what you originally wrote about putting Stohlman's tapering method into practice?
People here, like on most forums, are in to much of a rush to make their first thought known and "voice heard," to do that.

I have had some success with said tapering method with prewaxed hemp thread, should work okay with waxed linen. Just a little more messy.

For those that don't know what he is referring to, the tapering isn't just to make threading the needle easier. It also reduces bulk going through properly poked awl holes, thus not stretching and distorting them, allowing the diamond shaped cut to close back around the thread for a tighter, and better looking, stitch.

I used linen thread in the past for bags and other leather work, but know you all have me curious. What is “7cord “ or “5 cord” ?
And what should I be using to make shooting bags, belt pouches etc?
Thanks,
Kevin

I used linen thread in the past for bags and other leather work, but know you all have me curious. What is “7cord “ or “5 cord” ?
And what should I be using to make shooting bags, belt pouches etc?
Thanks,
Kevin
The cord count denotes the size of the thread. How many individual cords are in the thread.

Does anyone know if Landwerlen Leather Co is still in business on the south side of Indianapolis?

They used to carry Barbour's thread which is very good stuff.

I will be waxing the thread after the needles are attached. There is a method for tapering the thread prior to attaching the needles that can't be done with waxed thread.
If you are using common saddle stitch type needles, it is easier with waxed thread. wax your thread, flatten the ends a little with a hammer and thread the needle. Maybe you are trying to do something I don't understand, but I doubt it.

You wax your thread before threading the needles and after you take a knife to the ends to 'scrape' them down so as to make it pointed when waxed. I assume that's the taper you are going for.
If you are trying to layer a taper on your thread, then you need to roll your own with a single ply thread to whatever ply you want. For bag work, anything over 4 cord is overkill IMO and bordering on western tack work.
I just had for sale recently a lot of one pound spools of quality linen 4 cord but its gone and frankly its going the way of the dodo per my suppliers.

Not sure if you can get it anymore but Barbour's Irish Linen thread was used by cobblers and adapted as excellent natural bowstring material. Last source was a place in Arkansas but maybe an Internet search will reveal other dealers. Been saving my stash until I can get a hold of more. Check with Muzzle Loader magazine's vendors for linen. Lots of dealers.

Latest posts

Back