• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Sort of" period looking scope options

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a couple half stock Hawken style hunting rifles (a TC Renegade and a Lyman Trade) that I bought secondhand with scopes already mounted on them. They're nice rifles and they shoot fine, but I hate the way the newer scopes look on these guns. I usually hunt with peep sights, so I don't intend to shoot them a lot, and I can't see putting a Malcolm on them at twice what I paid for the rifles just so they look good.

That got me thinking about options that would look better even though they aren't era correct. I think the vintage single diameter scopes without the bell ends might be what I want to try. The ones I have in mind are something like a Weaver 333, 344, or Mossberg M4C. I understand that the optics quality is nowhere near on par with a new cheap scope, but they should be more than suitable for my purposes and they look good.

Is anyone running something like that on a sidelock muzzleloader? If so, I'd like to see some pictures to see if it looks as good in real life as it does in my head.

Thanks.

Look at the replication of the old Winchester A5 from MVA - totally US-made and just beautiful. Sadly, you seem to want the expensive look without the expense, and where optics are concerned, that just am'nt going to work. My experience with Malcolm scopes is outside the scope of this forum - suffice it to say that at the prices we pay for them here in UK, you'd be better off making your own from a bit of copper tubing and a couple of strands of elastic, and leave it at that.

Target scopes have been used on muzzleloaders since the early 1840's. This one is 9x and on a picket rifle.

Attachments

• 20210510_205200.jpg
    20210510_205200.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Dixie at one time offered a relatively inexpensive brass tubed scope that looked good on the guns I've seen them on. Don't know if they still offer it but they turn up on gunbroker from time to time.

Do not sell the Malcome scopes short I have one on a un-mentionable sharps it does just fine. Years ago had one of the brass tube ones from dixie (dont think they carry them anymore) it was a four power was not worth the time to mount it.

Do not sell the Malcome scopes short I have one on a un-mentionable sharps it does just fine. Years ago had one of the brass tube ones from dixie (dont think they carry them anymore) it was a four power was not worth the time to mount it.

The one we had on a S****s long-range express rifle ran out of focus at about 150 yards, although it WOULD focus down to ten feet. Not a lot use, I think you would agree. And it cost over $1000 here.

IMHO, if a traditional muzzleloader needs a (relatively) modern (post 1850, say) scope for the owner to use the rifle, the scope throws "traditional" out the door, So I would just D/T the top of the barrel for whatever optic floats yer boat.

IMHO, if a traditional muzzleloader needs a (relatively) modern (post 1850, say) scope for the owner to use the rifle, the scope throws "traditional" out the door, So I would just D/T the top of the barrel for whatever optic floats yer boat.
Telescopic sights were used on muzzleloading target rifles to win $$ in matches until the very late 1800's. Target shooting with scopes was a traditional use of the muzzleloader as they were used during the original period of use.

The one we had on a S****s long-range express rifle ran out of focus at about 150 yards, although it WOULD focus down to ten feet. Not a lot use, I think you would agree. And it cost over $1000 here.
The one on the sharps is good to 300 yards, As to agreeing not so, perhaps you needed to send it back where you bought it from, may have been a manfacturing issue. I am very pleased with mine.

Are the Malcolm style made by Hi-lux any good? I have a Williams peep sight that I'm going to try, but it won't mount close enough to really be right. Thinking with my eyes I might need a scope to keep shooting.

And yes I know, people here hate scopes, not forcing you to use them so please be considerate for those of us that want or need one. Not everyone wants to be 100% period correct, some of us just enjoy shooting, and don't want an inline because it just doesn't fit what they want.

The one I mentioned is a malcome by Hi-Lux. suggestion if you get one spend a bit extra and buy the up-graded adjustable bases.

Midway has about three different styles on the Hi Lux Malcolm scopes, in the short or long length.

I've also read of what are called tube sights that you could make yourself if you're handy. Maybe someone here can add to what little I know about them but I think what they are is just a tube with a crosshair or post mounted inside towards the front of the tube. They give a better sight picture without any magnification.

Also, if you just want to see how well a rifle shoots you can JB Weld scope mounts to the barrel and with a little heat remove them later with no screw holes or damage to the barrel.

Latest posts

Back