• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

something you always make at camp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some type of fowl stuffed with diced taters, carrots, rosemary and rubbed down with Tony's. Slow cooked on a green spit from about lunch time until the dinner bell rings. I also like pork tenderloin for breakfast, just sliced and cooked with a squirrel cooker.

First night at camp the day before huntin season I always cook a delmonico or portershouse steak on a grill over the fire..cause that will be my last good meal for a month or so..cause I'm too tired to do much serious cookin when I get in at night.

Biscuits and apple sauce with brown sugar and cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg. Satisfies my sweet tooth.

Just :m2c:

Hey Cookie
The gang in the rangers love it when I bring stewing venison. I cube most of my kill any ways. I take my brown bess bayonet, stick the cubes on as a cabob, maybe interleave with a few hunks of apple. Rotate it over the fire until browned because of the bayonet, it cooks from the inside as well... We all love it and it's fast... The other part of the treat is corn meal muffins in my ducher... turned the edges down on a four hole muffin tin. This fits down into the half way point of the ducher. Fill the spots up with corn meal mix throw the lid on, cover the ducher with coals... Serve after 20... with molasses and the venison... Whatta meal... :thumbsup:
loyalist Dawg

:crackup: Roots buddy that's what most moutain men lived on roots!!! Yes that's right, roots see you veggie munchers are a couple of hundred years behind the times :crackup:
loyalist Dawg
PS meat or noth'en , the two best smells in God's great earth are :hatsoff: burning powder & fry'en meat!!!

When camping with the kids (grown now) They demanded Dinty Moore beef stew but I had to add one can of green beans. Why? Because that was the first thing they remembered from our first camping trip.

When deer hunting with my youngest she had to always have clam chowder (for the same reason).

My favorite - combine raw breakfast sausage, potatoes and onions in a fry pan and cook the whole mess until the potaoes are done. I have never heard this called anything except "camp food."

I always like to make an apple pie in my dutch oven. It drives the flatlanders crazy when they see me making it and the buckskinners love the results! :hatsoff:
Wanders

Steak & Kidney Pie. I prefer lamb kidneys, but pork will do just fine. I love the looks of the flatlanders when you are rolling out pie dough on your board and they ask "what ya' cooking?" It's an acquired taste, I guess. Them that like it are glad you're makin' an them that don't - well, that's more for the rest of us.

Soaring Spirit
Don't take Life so seriously, it isn't permanent.

Cookie,
There are about 6or8 of us go to deer camp
most for 5 days in Southern Ohio every year. My
contribution is 4 gallons of chicken&noddles. I make it about a week ahead and freeze it in 1/2 gallon containers. When i get to camp i take out 2
1/2 gallion containers,and let thaw(usually the
nite before opening day). Put the gallon of C&N
in a dutch oven and cover over medium heat till
bubbly.Take lid off wait maybe 15-20 minutes and
cover C&N with either your favorite biscuits or
those from Pillsbury. Cover and bake till biscuits
are golden brown. Enjoy
The method for the C&N is a long process but i will share it upon request.
snake-eyes

Back