• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

soap stone bullet mould.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudd turtle

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anyone who can help me make a soap stone bullet mould that I can cast bullets from.The early setlers made soap stone moulds to cast round ball and had primative tools so why can't it be done today. My rifle will shoot 0.451 ball. I have seen these soap stone moulds in the museum and would like to try to make one. To have a cherry made is too costly .Anyone have any ideas as to how best accomplish this project.mudd turtle. :surrender:

Never made on out of soap stone but have done several out of aluminum. I make up a cutter that looks sort of like a lolly pop and sharpen the leading edge. Two blocks are squared up and one cut at a time in the lathe.I have not tried making small round ball molds this way,only canon ball 1.5" to 2"

Grind a spade bit/speed bit to radius on the end/width .450-ish. Drill half depth into each block. Cut sprue, test cast for spherical and deepen until you're happy. You could use an existing ball to put into the cavity to line it up to make notches to tie or wire the blocks together. Mess with it till its perfect..

then..

buy swaged balls to shoot.. grin. Let us know how it works.. I think I've got some soapstone around somewhere I may have to try also.

Latest posts

Back