• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaplock eventually a wheellock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick, Pukka, Rudyard: Do you fellers ever have "open house play days" when guys from this forum can come over and play with your astonishing pre-flintlock firearms? I promise to bring cookies ... 😄
Hey ... you left me out! 😢

And we just had such an open/invite BP shoot at my range! I had a shootable 'fire lock' replicas on my table with representations from the 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries ... that ended with a original flintlock breech-loading Hall rifle. Most of the other 50+ shooters were all US Civil War or No/So Skirmish guys, so they had the percussion muskets to early BP cartridge rifles/carbines covered.

Last edited:
Hey ... you left me out! 😢

And we just had such an open/invite BP shoot at my range! I had a shootable 'fire lock' replica on my table with representations from the 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th centuries ... ending with a flintlock breech-loading Hall rifle.
I bought a tinder lock and petronel from Rudyard and I (acting as my own Santa) just bought myself a chassepot, so we should all do a meet up some time

I bought a tinder lock and petronel from Rudyard and I (acting as my own Santa) just bought myself a chassepot, so we should all do a meet up some time
I can send you the French Navy manual on the construction of Chassepot cartridges if you want to do them properly. Use natural rubber bicycle inner tube for the rubber disk. It plays an important role in cleansing the breech. As does the silk gauze wrapping. Best not to talk further on these modern bunduqs here on this forum though.

I can send you the French Navy manual on the construction of Chassepot cartridges if you want to do them properly. Use natural rubber bicycle inner tube for the rubber disk. It plays an important role in cleansing the breech. As does the silk gauze wrapping. Best not to talk further on these modern bunduqs here on this forum though.
I would greatly appreciate that! I looked at the rules and saw this advance technology was right on the other side of the not allowed line. Bummer. Guess I’ll have to start hanging out with the Victorian folks lol!

I was offered a chassepot a few months ago. Waited too long to go back….. it’s gone…..😖

I was offered a chassepot a few months ago. Waited too long to go back….. it’s gone…..😖

Sam....go back to posts #84/85/86....if you had done your chores and hadn't been sitting the corner facing the wall with a dunce cap ...you may have gotten an allowance and would not have missed out on that chassepot!!!!! Whew!

Last edited:
Ok. The local gun guy buys out collections. A s and t professor died, and my friend buys all the guns from the widow. Among the chassepot was a very nice jeager rifle, very fancy, cased set of percussion traveling pistols, several Springfield muskets in flint and percussion. He offered me the chassepot for…..$400. I told him I’d get back with him, life took over, then it was …..GONE!

Back