• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaplock eventually a wheellock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the early dates for the flintlock lineage are correct, it only took a generation from matchlocks becoming common, to the invention and proliferation of multiple types of firelock
TobJohn interesting you mention "multiple types of firelock"! The descriptive word "Firelock" in many of the European and American museums and auctions that I have been fortunate to visit, have sometimes displayed firearm descriptions using the word "firelock" synonymous with every type of action from the 15th to the early 19th century. Books I have read also periodically use the word "firelock" to describe a weapon in use in that instant without giving the reader an inkling of the firing mechanism referred to. From the matchlock, wheelock, flintlock or any other action before or between periods when any of these actions could have been popular....many times the generic word "firelock" was the description used. WEBSTER:

firelock​

noun

fire·lock ˈfī(-ə)r-ˌläk

Synonyms of firelock
: a gun's lock employing a slow match to ignite the powder charge
also : a gun having such a lock

a
: FLINTLOCK
b
: WHEEL LOCK

TobJohn interesting you mention "multiple types of firelock"! The descriptive word "Firelock" in many of the European and American museums and auctions that I have been fortunate to visit, have sometimes displayed firearm descriptions using the word "firelock" synonymous with every type of action from the 15th to the early 19th century. Books I have read also periodically use the word "firelock" to describe a weapon in use in that instant without giving the reader an inkling of the firing mechanism referred to. From the matchlock, wheelock, flintlock or any other action before or between periods when any of these actions could have been popular....many times the generic word "firelock" was the description used. WEBSTER:

firelock​

noun

fire·lock ˈfī(-ə)r-ˌläk

Synonyms of firelock
: a gun's lock employing a slow match to ignite the powder charge
also : a gun having such a lock

a
: FLINTLOCK
b
: WHEEL LOCK
It can be a pain finding the right word. I’ve seen it most often used to describe the self igniting systems, which is what I had meant there. It gets even more confusing when some of these terms are mistranslated or anachronistic!

Wouldn't it be lovely to see that "oldest Swedish snaplock" from 1556 that Dale mentions. I don't seem to have adequate Google-fu this morning.
The Swedish museum system has some from around that time online. When I’m back in Virginia tomorrow, I will see if I can find some. They mostly have the classic German sporting cheek stock.

Wouldn't it be lovely to see that "oldest Swedish snaplock" from 1556 that Dale mentions. I don't seem to have adequate Google-fu this morning.
FE53C46F-57BF-461C-9015-2E9EE16183FC.jpeg

Snapplåsbössa, lägglås, utfjäderslås, Sverige ca 1550, för två skott bakom varandra (espingol), dubbla lås, varbygel i form av kultång. From inv.1671 kallad hagelbössa.

Pure grace and function for its day...TobJohn must have a doctorate in research! It translates to:

Snap lock box, lay lock, spring lock, Sweden ca 1550, for two shots behind each other (espingol), double locks, spring shackle in the shape of cult pliers. From inv.1671 called shotgun.

Last edited:
Pure grace and function for its day...TobJohn must have a doctorate in research! It translates to:

Snap lock box, lay lock, spring lock, Sweden ca 1550, for two shots behind each other (espingol), double locks, spring shackle in the shape of cult pliers. From inv.1671 called shotgun.
They have a couple others from the same period, but this had the best photos.

I zoomed in twice....I bet it is a double barrel early flinter.....look at the front sight....it looks as if it is set between 2 barrels. That way from the translation, "two shots behind each other" could only mean a double barrel with a twin lock on the opposite side. That supports what Flint62Smoothie suggested with the screw, a superposed loaded arm. The shallow dovetailed rear sight may extend to the second barrel? I could only imagine the weight of this firearm.

Last edited:
Back