• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaplock eventually a wheellock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I want a wheelock gun, either a handgun or a long gun. One of each would be great. I have access to lathes and milling machines, and help operating them, so I'd love to build a couple.
However, I believe I should try something with fewer, less complicated parts first.
IMG_20231105_151042353_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231105_152027346_HDR.jpg

I'm thinking something like one of these snaplock guns.

Matchlock very easy compared to a wheellock. A snaplock is different than a matchlock and one of the simpler firelocks using a flint.

Good on yer Tom!
The one in the pictures you supply is built hellish heavy in the lock.
Look up the originals that Tob has posted pictures of. They are all in the European section of Vikingsword.
If you build off an original you will get it closer than going off a newer build containing mistakes.

All the best,
Rich.

Edited to a link to the original Styrian Tinderlock that TobJon posted above.
If you search Matchlock Tinderlock or Snaplock on this linked forum, you will be up to your ears in ideas!

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7854&highlight=Styrian+tinderlock

Last edited:
For more dimensions, here is the museum link to the one at the bottom of my post:
Arquebuse à mèche | Musées d'art et d'histoire de Genève
The dating on it is probably (at least) 50 years too early.

The german national museum has one too, but their collections database is currently under maintenance.
4MI07994a07a (Custom).jpg

The capnball replica looks to have a symmetrical buttstock, but the survivors actually have an angled shape for the cheek on the left side.
1603420.jpeg

Last edited:
Tob, thanks. But I must ask, and show my ignorance I guess, on the reproduction you showed, is the button shown by my red arrow the "trigger"?
If no, where is the trigger? Thanks a bunch!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-171334~2.png
    Screenshot_20231106-171334~2.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 0
Hey I'm already thinking a carriage head bolt the appropriate size, with the square shank and threads turned off would make a "trigger". button.
The snapping matchlocks commonly used the button type triggers, while the lever actuated ones had a long curved lever for a trigger, correct?
Another "burning" question (pun intended), for you who know a lot more about matchlocks than I, after a shooting session what do you do with, or how to you put out the fire on the end(s) of your rope/match so it can be relit later?

Last edited:
Hey I'm already thinking a carriage head bolt the appropriate size, with the square shank and threads turned off would make a "trigger". button.
The snapping matchlocks commonly used the button type triggers, while the lever actuated ones had a long curved lever for a trigger, correct?
Another "burning" question (pun intended), for you who know a lot more about matchlocks than I, after a shooting session what do you do with, or how to you put out the fire on the end(s) of your rope/match so it can be relit later?
The button triggers were mostly just the first quarterish of the 16th century, but snapping matchlocks continued in common use past that. The button got replaced by modern looking triggers. Modern looking triggers were also used alongside the lever triggers on normal matchlocks, but it seems like levers were far more common in the 16th century and triggers more popular in the 17th

1699318705887.png

I need some 'smplainin here please. This beautiful gun is obviously a "snapping matchlock" and I understand what most of the parts are.
As I see it... The button trigger is the round part on the left, The serpentine is the uppermost part that pivots on a screw, the pan and it's cover are directly below the serpentine, and the longest narrow part(s) are the mainspring. Pressing down on the rear of the serpentine obviously cocks the gun, but what releases it to spring forward and down to fire the gun when the button is pushed? Does the mainspring move sideways, toward the stock? And what would the tab that looks like half of an oval be? Thanks.

I think that oval piece is just covering the sear. Usually, the button is attached to a flat spring with a tab (sear) on it, so when you push the button, it moves the sear out of the way of serpentine's tail.

Here is a complete lock, that shows the principle
Luntenschlosse _1510, _1630 u. _1650, Juni 08.  1b kl.jpg

Luntenschlosse _1510, _1630 u. _1650, Juni 08.  1c kl.jpg

It looks like the one you posted is this mechanism, but without the lock plate.

I step on it on dirt or concrete or asphault. But I then also store it in a used up/empty Sterno gel tin can, with airtight lid ... just because ..

Here are some snapping matchlocks with modern looking triggers:
1-75s-a232177_a.jpg

(Pukka made an insanely high quality repro of this one)
sfeahCR14-25-1374s1.jpg

snapping matchlocks.png

It was posted the other day, but my favorite set of matchlocks have a normal trigger for a snapping tinder serpentine and then a lever for the matchcord
Graz8, L-Doppelschloß-Schützenrohre, 1566 u. später  kl.jpg

Graz19 kl.jpg

And here is a pyrite lock petronel with the same system:
Petronel 1572 klein.jpg

Screenshot_20231107-120215~2.png

After I asked about what was done to extinguish the match/fuse until next use I found this pic posted by flint62smoothie, I think.
I have been on this site for a while (since August 2019) but just very recently looking, except an occasional passing glance, at the pre-flintlock forum. I am now very interested in earlier guns, especially matchlocks & wheellocks. I'm learning all I can, want to know it all!
Not be a know-it-all though.

View attachment 266977
After I asked about what was done to extinguish the match/fuse until next use I found this pic posted by flint62smoothie, I think.
I have been on this site for a while (since August 2019) but just very recently looking, except an occasional passing glance, at the pre-flintlock forum. I am now very interested in earlier guns, especially matchlocks & wheellocks. I'm learning all I can, want to know it all!
Not be a know-it-all though.
One of us! One of us!

Part of the fun of this period is that there is so much left to learn!

Back