• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

snaphaunce kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abso-friggin-lutely gorgeous. I too like the butt treatment. Is the wire inlay appropriate to the time period? Either way it's beautifully done, and I really like the Knight and dragon scene on the opposite side. Is that from a myth (Sun warrior, wind dragon) Just how thick is the lockplate anyway?
:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Hi Smoothbore,
The lock plate is about 3/16" thick. It was not one of TRS's best products because it had some deep pits that I could not remove (unless I filled them with welded metal). The gun is built as a northern French or Flemish snaphaunce that was converted to a type 1 English lock. The decoration is French. The gun below was my inspiration. It is a French wheellock from the region made in 1610 or so:

pierrelebourgeoyswheellock.jpg

My stock is cherry stained to look like applewood, which was commonly used in northern France. The knight scene is St. George fighting the dragon under a sun representing hope and goodness. The gun is covered with symbols, which was a common practice at the time. Below are a few more photos showing some of the engraving:

earlyfowlerfirstbarrelpin.jpg

earlyfowlerbattery.jpg

Finished17thcenturyfowlerbuttplate2.jpg

womansheadengraving-1.jpg

greenmanengraving.jpg

The barrel is a 12-gauge Colerain oct-round that I modified to give it a period look. The fowler holds and shoots very well both with patch and ball, and shot.

dave

makes me proud i started this thread again i cant stop looking at the pics of the guns in this thread

Good Grief. The engraving on that butt plate and other hardware is so outstanding!! :bow: And it looks so appropriate to the gun.
Earlier, when I mentioned that the lock seems to beg for a gun, little did I know what you would come back with!! Sure makes mine look plain. :rotf: And you've shot it!!
I can picture "me" taking that to the Range. But I would be terrified to take it in the field. The first bump on the stock would have me sitting on the ground kicking and crying. :haha:
That gun just ooossses with period type style. I can't stop looking at it. :haha:
Again, my hats off to you for a superb firearm. :hatsoff: And thanks for posting. Hope you don't mind me saving copies of your photos in my library? Rick.

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your compliments. I am glad you like and enjoy the photos.

Ricky,
I never build a gun just for show. They are to shoot and this one does that surprisingly well and is also very sturdy. A few dents, scratches and bumps will just give it soul. One reason that I can occasionally help you and others with questions about firearm identification is that I keep a large library of reference information as well as inspect every original gun I can. In addition, I keep a large library of information concerning the decorative arts through the centuries. That is actually my true love and I find that guns are wonderful but challenging canvases on which to recreate that art. You complimented me by saying the decoration is so appropriate and I thank you for that because that was exactly my intention. I am working to keep those art forms alive. The late mannerist and early French Baroque designs are very like those produced by the LeBourgeoys family of gunmakers and artists in NW France during the first decades of the 17th century. You probabably recognize the name Marin LeBourgeoys as a possible inventer of the true flintlock. Symbolic designs and images that tell stories were commonly applied to guns at that time. For example, the butt plate engraving shows a soldier facing death. The face of the soldier is actually a vague image of France's King Henry IV. He is preparing to meet death (the skull) while thinking about the achievements and treasures he obtained in life (the woman's portrait). But death is the great leveler (a common theme during the 16th and 17th centuries) that happens to all. The winking greenman at the bottom represents regeneration and rebirth giving the parable hope and a happy ending. The happy ending is because it is French. If it was a German design, the poor schmuck would be shown burning in hell. Apples were (and are) grown throughout Normandy and the wood was often used for stocks such as the wheellock in my photo. I did not have a suitable apple blank so used cherry and stained it accordingly. For me, paying attention to those details turns every gun project into an historical adventure and turns this hobby into an avocation.

dave

Latest posts

Back