• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

snaphaunce kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
the rifle shoppe is the only place i have found kits anyone biult one recently
or know of any other source like to biuld one with a fish tail stock
this is my first venture in to this neck of the woods i biult two flintlocks from pre intel kits and would like snaphaunce in simular kit form
thanks for any pointers of source

My hat is off to Jess(TRS)for his efforts. I've made a few of his kits. They require skill in general metal working. Having access to an acetylene torch, lathe,drillpress, tap and die set will be necessary. You will have a lot of file work to do. And have to make some parts not provided with the kit. Such as screws. You will have to temper springs,and harden tumblers, sears and batteries/frizzens. Sometimes it will also be necessary to heat and bend parts to get the proper geometry. Also, be prepared to fix mistakes. Knowledge of welding and soldering is very helpful. There's much more but I'm trying to keep this short. It's a learning experience. Might I suggest trying a siler lock kit frist. This will give you a positive first build, and give you more of an idea of what is involved in a more complex TRS kit. G.S.

you could probably save yourself a lot of headache and just pay them to assemble the lock, then build the kit yourself. :idunno: never done one of their kits myself but the pictures in the back of their catalogue look like the kits are pretty well shaped and inlet and they say they provide everything needed to build the gun (minus sandpaper and stain and the like)Maybe someone else has built a complete kit from them with the lock already done.

Hi Buzz. Another option would be Leonard Day. Here is a copy of a fishtail musket that he built, which I now own. Mine has the "English" or so called Jacobian style lock. But I know he has built them with snaphaunce locks. I'm sure you could get similar in Kit Form. I think this is the butt style you are looking for? Rick.
DSC00773Medium-1.jpg

DSC00783Medium.jpg

DSC00782Medium-1.jpg

Rick yes this is the style of early musket i'm looking for
as far as TRS kits i would pay to have them do the lock i made on flintlock from TOTW for a brown bess never worked to good

Buzz-

I am building the same gun that Ricky has in the photos, from Leonard Day in kit form. He has 6 different models, all from the 1620-1660 era. He makes his own locks, but none are snaphaunce. Early English flintlock and Dutch flintlock of 4 models,plus a matchlock.

Locks are $195 assembled, which I think is well worth it, considering their uniqueness and the difficulty getting something similar elsewhere.

Two things -
His kits/parts are available!
They are the same quality as TRS. I bought two TRS kits , and feel I have a good idea of their general quality and difficulty.

I'm sure you could get a all parts minus the lock from him.

Mr. Day has no website, but can be reached at 413-527-0184. Address 3 Kings Highway, Westhampton, MA, 01027. He works out of his home, as far as I can tell, and is in his 80's. I wish him continued good health of course, but wonder if anyone will take over when he is no longer able.

Anyway, give him a call. Maybe he has worked on a snaphaunce locks. This is the only era he does.

John

When i stated this thread i wanted a snaphaunce long rifle now after seeing Rickys pics and doing some research i decvided on an english lock long gun
i give Mr Day a call and see what he has availible

Hi Buzz. Here is a couple pics of the lock and trigger guard jfyi.
I know Mr. Day has built at least one of these with a Snaphaunce lock. The lock was purchased from a company in the UK. The name escapes me at the moment, but others here will know who I am talking about. I can find it for you if you want.
Notice this "English" lock still retains the three lock screws from the snaphaunce period. Rick. :hatsoff:
DSC00776Medium-1.jpg

DSC00777Medium-1.jpg

DSC00781Medium-1.jpg

DSC00780Medium-1.jpg

Ricky I going with an english lock not snaphaunce as this is what i think would better siute me at t his time
I bee in contact with Mr Day and we are working out a game plan
thanks all for your help in this new prodject i wanting to take on

Thanks rick and john for all the help and yes i be posting again here with follow up details be kind of fun have a early gun not so common on the west coast

Hi Buzz,
Leonard Day is probably your best bet. However, early snaphaunces and type 1 English locks (Jacobean, many of which were converted snaphaunces) are large and very simple. They actually are good projects for learning to build locks from castings sold by TRS or Blackley's. Parts are large and you have some margin for error. They are good training projects. Below are some photos showing the outside and inside of a type 1 English lock from TRS that I built.

dave
Type1englishlocknewoutsideview.jpg
type1englishlockrearview.jpg
type1englishlockinsideview.jpg

How thick is the bolster on that, it looks really thin. That would put the lockplate very close to the barrel and make the gun very slim indeed. :idunno: :confused:

Dave: What a beautiful lock!!!! And the style of engraving is wonderful!! Very cool. You did a great job on that. Looks too nice to use on a gun :haha:
But a bit of the lock seems to be begging for gun mount. :hatsoff: I really like that lock!! Rick.

OH MY @#$%^&*!!!!! No, I don't recall seeing this gun before. I'm sure I would have remembered it.
What a beautiful, fantastic looking gun. And a work of art. The style of engraving and stock decoration seem so correct for the gun. and that cannon style muzzle really tops it off. My congratulations to you sir on a fine piece. Almost too nice to shoot. :haha: And, I like the clip-off on the upper tail of the butt stock, where the butt plate bends/wraps around. Very cool look. Rick. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Dave P that is just one top self smoke pole
i do like the muzzle profile
buzz

Back