• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snaphaunce era Weaponry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smoothbore addict said:
Rick, Ilooked at the tumbler and sear and noticed a few things. The file work is much cleaner then the rest of the internals. The color of the metal is also slightly different. Is it possible these are much later replacements by a talented smith to keep an older firearm in service?

When I first received the lock it was missing the top screw. Usually when a top screw is missing, so is the top jaw. But not in this case. Instead, there was a piece of rod stacked into the hole of the lower jaw to keep it all together. Ironically, that piece of rod was the tip of a Moroccan ramrod. :haha: Here's a photo of what it looked like when I first received it:
snaphauncelock006Medium.jpg

DSC00401Medium.jpg

DSC00409Medium.jpg

So, I had the lower jaw threaded and a new top screw made. Does not look perfect, but it's reasonably close. It's always stuck in my craw that the original top screw was missing. :cursing: But it still makes a nice addition to my lock collection. Rick.

Alden: That pistol is a beauty!!! :hatsoff:
The combination of Italian and French influence looks great. Pistol looks overcoat size. Very neat looking. Congrats!! :thumbsup: Rick.

smoothbore addict said:
It's a truly beautiful compilation of styles. What is the intended purpose and manner of carry? What time period does it represent? Do you have a character you represent?
It is a gentleman's .54 less-than-10" defensive pistol. Snapahuances were largely replaced by "flintlocks" towards the end of the 17th C., about the same time rapiers were being replaced by colichemarde blades and eventually smallswords, except around Northern Italy where the graceful lock thrived till the mid 1700's. I've never had much more of a personna than in name and accuterments in any of the assorted Rev. War-and-earlier reenacting/recreation I've participated in. Deep immersion in fantasy vs. living history has always been as silly to me as 4' rapiers were and should be just as "banish-ed from court"...
220px-Snaphaunce_sparking.gif

Sort of but not really. The frizzen arm would stay the same, just weld on a frizzen face that included a folded under section sized to cover the pan. That way the spring, keeper, and frizzen could all be reused and the geometry stays the same. The plus would be faster lock time due to the hammer not having to also push open the pan cover.

I have thought about doing that on these locks I am building. I am buying supplies soon and I have scaled out the snaphaunce musket lock, the swedish snaplock, ant two matchlocks. the plates should be cut out tomorrow. then I will be buying the materials for the battery, interor parts, pans and covers, also I will check for bolts and the like.

I will probably need help on the wax casting processes but that will come later. :hatsoff:

Ricky,

What a great idea to upgrade the Rifle Shoppe business capacity. It's been needed for years!

Although these older styles may be a small niche market in the overall gun industry, I'm sure it could be a lot bigger - if only they were available. Pretty simple. People crave variety and there's plenty in the TRS catalog.

Don't forget there is a foreign market.

If they need another investor, I'd love to be a part of it. Seriously.

John

Hi OddFellow. That is really neat you are doing this. Forged locks are great, especially if repairs are needed. But I'm sure wax casting is the way to go to meet any real production quantity and to be able to sell at a reasonable profit.
I am told that TRS castings are done by a guy in Arkansas, for what it's worth. I'm sure I'll buy two or three locks. :wink: Rick.

I have the plates cut out hack saw takes 1/8" depth each pass. Hand file a bit and its good. These are being forged for the molds. Casting the metal is the best production means but for the lock plates stamping would be better.

Uhm let's see the snaplock plate and snaphaunce musket plates are cut and the matchlock plates will be soon. Using an old pitchfork for springs and next month they might be done, I'm also making a backsword and filling other obligations.

These will be utilitarian locks not the fancy. No wheellocks and all older style pre flint

Hello again. Here are a couple period locks I thought you all might like to see. These locks were made from scratch by fellow Forum member Wulf.
Really neat Baltic and Snaphaunce locks. Great workmanship and very cool! :hatsoff: Rick.
I'm posting these photos in Wulf's behalf.
AIOtmpMedium.jpg

IMG_0383_1.jpg

"impressive" just doesnt cover it, truly outstanding work! i really love the wood trigger aswell.

-matt

ricky said:
...Really neat Baltic and Snaphaunce locks. Great workmanship and very cool! :hatsoff: Rick.
I'm posting these photos in Wulf's behalf.
AIOtmpMedium.jpg

Nice thing! Have you please image inner side of this baltic lock? I thing that pan was uncovered by finger, but I have not seeing lever for finger.
Thanks
P/S. Original is this, isn't it?
[url]
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h175/arilar/IMG_1138.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gunhead. Wulf's copy sure does look like the original you posted. Except for maybe the fancier top screw on the copy. I'll send Wulf an email and ask him to look at your post. Thanks, Rick.

I did take a picture of the inside..found out
my confuser wont send or receive emails. All that
is inside is an 'L' shaped lever that prys a spring with a sear on it out of the slot in the
plate. That sear blocks the tail of the cock from
turning..Very simple. Wedges or pins hold the
main spring on the lock from the inside. And yes
the pan cover is thumb opened...I got this from a
pic that Lars posted that looks exactly like the
one you have shown. Your welcome. Wulf

Back