• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

An Arab snaphaunce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice picture of the tribesmen at the gunmakers shop, however did they manage to reload whilst at full gallop!

At least for the saluting charge I don t recall them reloading during it . What does seem to be a good plan is to reload stopped with the wide butts sat on the ground , Equally true of the Cape Dutch Voortreckers long barreled muskets, opposite end of the continent but same problem .

I loaded a Bess from the back of a docile trecking horse that way if my purpose was to see if I could load & fire off the old moke gradually upping from a pan flash to a full charge . I have rode horses without a saddle at full stretch its exhilarating , Until it drops to the jogging gait , then its a lot of ouch !.
Rudyard

Couple more period photos
sibyrian desert bedoins egypt.jpg
bedoins.jpg

Great pics note the rag wrapped over the locks to keep the ever present fine sand getting into them .I had two days of Sahara sand storm when rideing on a truck every day, Sand gets every where you learn not to bite onto food lest you crush grit with the teeth contacting it as you effect a chewing motion .Thers a song with the lines ."The dust from the coal left its mark apon my soul ,And Ide love to see the Rhonda once again." Might be Tom Jones but its the same with fine sand I think .only its not in Wales just further South .

Your Photo collection is fantastic You aught to publish a illustrated book , Its fully as usefull as Elgoods work .A visual treat you bring to us all . How long is your barrel? the carbines are around 24 " brl with a protruding part being about, one & 1/2'just went to measure 22 to 26" seems typical carbine needing 34 to 36" blank I suppose if you scarf an extended fore wood long barrels might be do able the join would go under a capucine & most Moroccan ones seem to be only shortly after the lock before they are all extensions , One I made was three pieces into long 'V' joins to get the grain not wasting it ( Curly Maple or English Sycamore ) even less critical in Walnut .You can cover the postage with the rosettes youve earned the wood all ready. Regards Rudyard

Well spotted looks like it could be a got up toy , Great pics choose what .Do seem to be Bedouins, I only met Oasis dwellers but they had very little that couldn't be packed away on Camels .
Ime no' El Lawrance' but I did absorb little a bit of their culture .Nothing like the old verse which runs some thing like "They look & they sigh & they say ." Tis the nights of far off Arabia ',They have stolen his mind away "
PS more I look it does look like the ammused boy has a double pistol with a ring on the butt end .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
Great pics note the rag wrapped over the locks to keep the ever present fine sand getting into them .I had two days of Sahara sand storm when rideing on a truck every day, Sand gets every where you learn not to bite onto food lest you crush grit with the teeth contacting it as you effect a chewing motion...

Your Photo collection is fantastic You aught to publish a illustrated book , Its fully as usefull as Elgoods work .A visual treat you bring to us all...

Always fascinating hearing about your travels, Rudyard! Were the photos mine or had I rights to them, I'd certainly consider it. I've just been blessed with a lot more free time since I moved to Armenia and spend some of it hunting down historical photos (vintage cameras and photography are another hobby close to the heart)

Does that kid on the lower right have a double barrel pistol?!?
Certainly looks like it and very possible. The photos were from somewhere around Sinai and here is a photo of a gun shop from Cairo in the same period
gunsmith cairo.jpg

Plenty of double barreled pistols to choose from!

Compare that to this painting of an earlier time of a gun dealer in Cairo

arms-dealer-in-cairo.jpg

I just love seeing old photo's like this from a lost world, I notice the one laughing tribesman holding his gun high up on post #23 has what appears to be a stabbing tool on the end of the barrel

Thanks again Cyten for the additional photos. Just great.

Ref: Posts #23 and 32: Notice some of the locals are carrying muskets similar to the Algerian muskets with their large miquelet locks like the example with the guy in the video shooting. Similar only in the butt stock shape and the tapered octagon barrel.
The difference being the use of a traditional style flintlock, and the stock being made as a half-stock. The ramrod pipes are mounted on the lower flat of the barrel. The pipes are just simple brass or iron tubing that are held in place with very fine brass wire. This wire acts as both the barrel band and support for the ramrod pipe. Actually, a pretty clever and simple way to accomplish both requirements.

It's been suggested that this flintlock/half-stock variation originated somewhere around the Algerian and Tunisian border. I've seen a few and own two. I've seen them with both flat and round face flintlocks. The barrels look identical to the ones mounted on the traditional Algerian/miquelet versions. Probably from the same factory (France?)

Here are some photos of the flintlock/half-stock variation. It's a "parts" gun. But notice the brass wire wrapped around the barrel to act as both the barrel bands and support for the ramrod pipes.

Rick

001 (Medium).JPG
009 (Medium).JPG
015 (Medium).JPG
012 (Medium).JPG
013 (Medium).JPG

I have for years had a small lock, I stocked it with pure fancy but the lock is right enough pics later Rudyard
Hopefully this 4& a quart " long lock is clear the stocking is just fanciful for a' prop' use . don't seem to get many pistol sized locks more run to 10''O A , The bit of original barrel lent it credibility the top of the Battery face is long gone.
Rudyard
(He,s long gone too!)

1691540077009.png
1691540103440.png
1691540088355.png

At least for the saluting charge I don t recall them reloading during it . What does seem to be a good plan is to reload stopped with the wide butts sat on the ground , Equally true of the Cape Dutch Voortreckers long barreled muskets, opposite end of the continent but same problem .

I loaded a Bess from the back of a docile trecking horse that way if my purpose was to see if I could load & fire off the old moke gradually upping from a pan flash to a full charge . I have rode horses without a saddle at full stretch its exhilarating , Until it drops to the jogging gait , then its a lot of ouch !.

Rudyard

Rudyard
Been there, done that, skinny horse made my little arse like a rose.

I loaded a Bess from the back of a docile trecking horse that way if my purpose was to see if I could load & fire off the old moke gradually upping from a pan flash to a full charge . I have rode horses without a saddle at full stretch its exhilarating , Until it drop

Kind of looks like the lock area is covered with a rawhide cover.
s to the jogging gait , then its a lot of ouch !.
Rudyard

REF: Post #36

Rudyard: That is a cool looking pistol !!! Even if it does not copy any particular original, it's still very nice. I really like it. And, as you mentioned, these Moroccan snaphaunce locks - in pistol size - are difficult to locate. I do have one other identical pistol size lock that was mounted to a small Moroccan musket that was built for a young boy. Unfortunately, the stock was damaged beyond repair. But I bought it cheap just to get the lock. Don't know what to do with the well made barrel. It's 19-inches long. Too short for a carbine and too long for a pistol. Interesting that both of my locks and your lock look identical, and copy the original Dutch pattern. Possibly made in the same shop.

Rick

REF: Post #36

Rudyard: That is a cool looking pistol !!! Even if it does not copy any particular original, it's still very nice. I really like it. And, as you mentioned, these Moroccan snaphaunce locks - in pistol size - are difficult to locate. I do have one other identical pistol size lock that was mounted to a small Moroccan musket that was built for a young boy. Unfortunately, the stock was damaged beyond repair. But I bought it cheap just to get the lock. Don't know what to do with the well made barrel. It's 19-inches long. Too short for a carbine and too long for a pistol. Interesting that both of my locks and your lock look identical, and copy the original Dutch pattern. Possibly made in the same shop.

Rick
Though we call it' Dutch' I think eminent scholars place the development to England or Scotland, Not that the low countries didn't produce many examples and where certainly not wanting in genius . A lot of military carbines had shorter barrels some Austrian ones being less than the Paget at 16" If it where me Ide restore or restock it in suit since such ' boys guns' are rare birds . I made a flint English rifle using a old 303 barrel for my eldest Daughter she fired one shot at a rendezvous near Ashburton and that was it .! Dainty little late flint rifle .I made a 40 cal caplock for my youngest she enjoyed shooting it but is more into Taylor Swift music & golf . We do what we can but they are their own people.at the end of the day .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back