• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleball36

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am reworking a .620 tradegun that has a bad lock. The lock is a old Dixie gunworks Ketland. The lock isn't worth the metal it is made of, but 27 years ago it was all I could get. I have ordered a Jim Chambers' Early Ketland lock to replace it. While I am waiting for the lock to arive I have been seizeing balls and patching to the bore. A .600 ball and .010 patch is a snug but not a tight fit in a clean bore. A .562 ball and .030 patch gives a easy sliding fit. I was thinking a .575 ball and .030 patch would give a shootable combanation that would load easy as the barrel became fouled. I have only shot the .600 ball's in it and that has been meany years ago.
I would like the openion of you who have and shoot the 20gr. Looking for easy loading with good accuracy. Thanke for your help. :hatsoff:

I shoot .600 balls and pillow tick patch out of mine. I haven't shot much though so others with more experience will be of more help. Also, just because it is a "20 gauge" doesn't mean it has the same bore size as mine, so probably just experimentation with your particular gun is the best way to an answer your question.
Idaho PRB

I Still don't know what the actual bore diameter of your trade gun is, but Track of the Wolf sells .595 Diameter balls, and .015" thick patching that would work better than the .600" and .010 patching you are using now.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(0...atId=2&subId=25&styleId=58&PageSize=25&Page=3

Those old Dixie locks were long on promise, and short on "doin'". I think you will like the Chamber's lock a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bore is .620. I was thinking sence some shoot a unpatched ball with accuracy maybe a smaller ball with thick patching would work and load easy.

With a smaller ball you can aways use a thicker patch with a bigger ball you may end up shooting bare ball with wadding after she fouls up, I would try some different sized balls depending on what the gun likes, PRB, or ball with wadding to hold it in place.I load up a .562 or .570 in my .58 with a snug fit, no shortstarter or range rod needed to load,when I go out to hunt and carry a few .550 balls with loose sq. patches in the bottom of the bag, some times I toss in .535 balls as well, if need be for a second shot I just drop a smaller ball atop the powder( usually put an over powder card on first) and shove some tow atop the ball to hold it in place, Iplayed around with this useing several different balls with. W/out patching different types and configuration of various balls and wadding and out of around 13 shots (going on memory here) only one missed a pie plate at 45 yds. and that was likely a loose nut behind he lock.

The .60 ball and the .010 patch is what I use. You want a load that you don't have to pound down with a short starter. This load will work until the gun gets really dirty and then I may bare ball if I don't feel like swabbing it out. I shoot this load over 75 grains of 3f in one smoothbore and 65 grains of 3F in another.

Many Klatch

I like a 595 ball with ticking spit patch or lube, ticking is 18 or 20, good smoke, Ron

Oatsayo,
I use a .595 ball and .10 patch. It loads easy and shoots well for me. I can shoot alot and not have to clean.

this is my opinion but try tg's method, I have done so in the past , but he's right as well as the others, try everything mentioned, them smooties can be contankerous, and Hey tg whats happening there old hoss. kjg

" Hey tg whats happening there old hoss. kjg "

How ya been? I'm still up to the same ...trying to stir up some thinkin' around here and a few arguements along the way :grin:

I shoot .60 ball with .015 prelubed patch (ox yoke) from my TOTW Type D fusil. I need a short starter to get 'em going, then they slide right down without much effort. Tried .020 patches first but they were too tight. I use 65 grns of 3F goex.

Latest posts

Back