• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore grouse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice birds and good-looking hunters. Glad to see a few generations together. I grew up in PA. in the 60-70's and Dad raised beagles for bunny's and they were fairly good on pheasants as well. Got Married and got my first English Springer for Grouse and pheasant. Had him breed a female later on and got pick of the litter. Hunted his son as well. Moved to Virginia mountains. Dogs aged out and lost. After kids moved out wife and I decided on another dog. Of course, it was going to be a Springer. This was before Internet found an ad in the local newspaper. when to look at pups Mom and Dad looked good, and Dad was a really good hunter on his own. No training . Pup's where 12 weeks old and really neglected (tails not docked , dew claws intact, ETC.) they were 12-15weeks old muddy dirty I told the lady not to even get them out of kennel and started walking back to car. Well wife had already put hand in kennel and one dog was laying there getting his belly rubbed and loving it. Wife insisted that I look at this dog and wouldn't leave me leave. So thankfully it was a male and marked liver and white perfectly but with that long tail was butt ugly. I just knew this would not work and didn't want him. Owner starts telling wife how she can't feed them, and they have to go. To save an argument with wife. Tell her I won't pay the price she wants and walking away again I mumble $20. and she says take him. Long story short I work with him all summer. Hunt him on doves in September. Grouse and ducks through Nov, Dec. doing well. Freind calls me in Feb we have a late season goose hunt, and he has permission to hunt this private lake on a Campground they want geese thinned out on. so we go. Not knowing what this young dog will do. 13 geese retrieved with about 1-foot swells. Purchased a flotation vest for him after that. And we hunted for 13 years before I lost him.. Stayed in house with us loved grand kids and hunting. Best and ugly's dog I ever had.

At age 12 , I shot my first grouse from a bent tree , where it was walking up. My best friend Rudy , was with me , and our Dads were MIA , with the English Setter , Spotty , the wonder dog. I was very proud to add to the day's grouse total. Rudy's Dad , Michael , was a master class grouse hunter from the Cannan valley of W. Va.. He killed over 500 birds in his life. He was one of my hunting hero's.

I married a city girl , that hated the city. We left her city and moved to Central Pa. near the big woods. I killed some deer , so she wanted to go too. She was a night shift nurse , and soon as her shift was over that morning , we went deer hunting. The snow was knee deep , but frozen hard enough for her to walk in , a ways , on top of the snow , like a sidewalk. So far , so good , until the sun came out . By noon , I thought I might have to tie my drag rope to her to skid her out to the truck. Exhaustion from working all night , and breaking trail to the truck , about did her in. There's been no more talk of deer hunting from the nurse. That was 50 + yrs. ago.

Grouse have been allusive but still finding some bunnies. Temps have been mild with a high about 20 so have to enjoy the WARM weather before it gets sub zero. Thanks for all the comments....
IMG_20231028_163646.jpg

Crisco, we're about 160 miles northeast of Fairbanks ( eastern interior ).
I have a Crocket 32 kit the kids and I are going to do together but probably won't be able to use it this winter. Ordered a tap-o-cap kit and the powder to make my own #11 caps as they are impossible to find up here and we can't have them shipped through the mail. Hopefully I can get some 3F next summer. There's only one guy in the interior that sells real black powder and he told me last time I talked to him that the ATF were really giving him a hard time, hopefully he can keep selling it.

Wonderful thread. Nice to see you bringing your boys up with muzzleloaders. Sure makes me miss hunting ruffed and blue grouse in the Oregon Cascades.
Are those Alaskan hares y'all are hunting -- or snowshoes? How are they on the table?
If your source for powder dries up, be sure to spend a little time watching the Hoffman Reproductions Youtubes on how to make good powder, safely.

A litter of my Grandads Springers. he raised them for work, and always had one with him.
This was back in England, and he had the
Puppies.jpg
odd American Springer.

Mother Bessie, was a small English Springer, half way between a regular and and an English cocker. She had a real trouble retrieving a brown hare!
We have been real short of ruffed grouse, but tonight, Four came into the yard to eat elderberries off the bushes! We too have snow. had six inches but its shrunk down some.
No, I won't shoot at grouse in the yard.
Different if I meet them in the woods!

Last edited:
Fun! I need to get out after grouse with my Bess Carbine sometime soon. Springer Spaniels are great. We had a couple of them when I was a kid. Have you talked to Curtiss Stables? The last I heard he was breeding Springers. Dogs sure are good for peer pressure to get out and about. Nothing like that sad, intense look you get from them when you're planning to spend a day being lazy.

Picked up a few sharp tails today while setting marten traps but forgot to take pictures โ˜น๏ธ my son and I did a crocket .32 kit, learned a few things and would like to do another.

Attachments

• IMG_20231109_113138.jpg
    IMG_20231109_113138.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 0
Victor, You are NE of Fairbanks by 160 miles. Is that Venetie, Ft Yukon, or AV or...?
I've been all over there, usually on my way to Brooks Range/NS.

Latest posts

Back