• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
back to the original post. Blackfingers, I hope he'll bore it to about .47 rather than .45. Then you'll be able to use .440 or .445 patched balls.
I have what I usually call a .50 but is actually a .52 that i use .490 PRBs in. I built it without a rear sight, weights 6 lbs. and my best shots have bee a Deer at 125 yds. and a rockchuck at 147 yds. a lot of rockchucks at 85 to 100 yds. With shot ( I've done test against my 3 .62s smoothies) I can put just as many shot in a 4" circle at 25 yds. as a .62, between 20 and 25 shot. I've taken quail, chuckers, crows, etc. on the wing with it (it has a rifle stock. I'm convinced that if I'd had one made back in the day it would have been smooth, at least, knowing what I know now. I'm, seriously thinking of building a .47. I'll be interested in your results. I'm getting 1670 fps with PRB and 3F. Penetrates completely thru am 8 to 10" Aspen at 50 yds. My favorite gun. Deadeye

Deadeye, calling my smithy now, maybe it can go to a full .50! Will let you know, Blackfingers

Just got off the horn with my guy, he says if he can go to .45, he can do a .50 if it's safe, up to him now, I'll just wait for him to let me know. :v

JD, I respectfully disagree. The 410 is not “an expert’s gun.” The small smoothbore is just as effective as any large bore gun within its limitations. Given the same size shot and velocity, at the same reasonable yardage, the small smoothbore will be just as effective as the large bore.

As an example, I taught the 11 year old son of a friend of mine to shoot a 410 shotgun, after a period of three weeks of instruction he was able to beat his Dad at skeet with my friend shooting a 20 gauge and his son shooting my 410.

If you hit a moving target with the center of the pattern it does matter what gauge you are using. Rant over, thank you for your indulgence.

I recently bought a Cherokee barrel that the previous owner had reamed/honed out to the point that the faintest hint of the rifling remains. Very shiney bore and measures .470. It is mounted on a Seneca and shoots very tight patterns using kraft paper over powder wadding and a 50 cal felt over the top.

Flash Pan Dan said:
JD, I respectfully disagree. The 410 is not “an expert’s gun.” ....
No problem. I agree that a hits a hit. I was meerly trying to make the point that the margin of error is much higher with the bigger gauges. More shot, wider shot colomn, easier to hit with for the inexperienced.

Now, that lad was a good shot and I commend you for taking the time to teach him. But, perhaps he would have been out-shooting Dad in 1 or 2 weeks with a 20 gauge. :wink:

Seriously though, you did him...and his Dad...a great service. Since he learned on that .410 he should be able to hit with anything. :thumbsup:

Thanks and Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
Again, I am not arguing that smooth-rifles were not made or that they would even be desirable to some, but the fact remains, we don't know.......

You are making an assumption that these guns were not originally rifled and at some point during their usable life the owner didn't choose to have them reamed out....

I am satisfied that they do exist...how they got that way and why is the stuff of fantasy for now. J.D.

JD - how about some period documentation for purpose built "smooth rifles" and not rifles which have been reamed out and no fantasy involved.....

18th Century
September 13, 1739
The Pennsylvania Gazette
RUN away on the 6th Inst. from Thomas Rees, of Heydelburg Township, Lancaster County, a Servant Lad, named Richard Beddes, aged about 17 Years, has light bushy Hair: Had on an old striped linsey Jacket, old linnen Shirt, new Linnen Breeches and an old Hat, no Shoes nor Stockings. Took with him a smooth Rifle Gun. Whoever brings the said Servant to his said Master, or secures him in the County Goal, so that he may be had again, shall have Three Pounds Reward and reasonable Charges, paid by Thomas Rees.

January 26, 1769
The Pennsylvania Gazette
RUN away from his bail, on the 9th of this inst. January, JOHN DAVIS, this country born, about 21 years of age, about 5 feet 5 inches high, of a sandy complexion, freckled, had a pretty large scar on the instep of one of his feet, occasioned by the cut of an ax, and he is pretty talkative; had on, when he went away, a blue broadcloth coat, with mohair buttons, a red plush waistcoat, leather breeches, and a fine hat; he also had other clothes, of a light ash colour, lined with striped linsey, the coat had no lining in the sleeves; these he had packed up in a pair of check trowsers; he may dispose of one suit; he took with him a smooth rifle gun , and as he has served his time, he may possibly produce his indenture. Whoever secures the said runaway in any goal, shall have FIVE POUNDS reward, paid by the subscriber in Forks township, Northampton county. GEORGE TIDFORD.

May 3, 1775
The Pennsylvania Gazette

TWENTY ONE POUNDS Reward.
RUN away, last night, from the subscriber, living near Bush river, Harford county, Maryland, 7 English servant men, viz. John Brown, about 35 years of age, about 5 feet 8 inches high, has black hair, large temples, narrow chin and thick lips, used to the sea, and a great swearer. N.B. Has been in the country before. Abraham Peters, about 28 years of age, about 5 feet 9 inches high, has black hair and beard, of a swarthy complexion, his left hand somewhat perished and lame; says he is a Jew, and talks very good Dutch. John Cooley, about 22 years of age, by trade a Plaisterer, about 5 feet 8 inches high, round face and well set; had on a blue fearnought jacket, and a double breasted under jacket, white yarn stockings, and old shoes. William Childs, about 21 years of age, about 5 feet 6 inches high, a Carver and Gilder by trade, and but meanly dressed, which was a blue fearnought jacket, and old shoes, with hob nails. Thomas Able, about 25 years of age, about 5 feet 5 inches high, has a remarkable red face, very rotten teeth, is a great talker and very much pitted with the smallpox; he has been in South Carolina before. William Blancklett, about 27 years of age, about 5 feet 4 inches high, thin visage, sharp nose, black hair and beard. Thomas Sharp, about 15 years of age, about 5 feet 3 inches high, fair complexion; he had on a green coat, blue cuffs; stole and took with him two pair of trowsers, one striped holland and the other ozenbrigs, one white shirt and one check ditto, new felt hat: As Able and Blancklettbreeches were much worn, it is imagined they wear said trowsers. They had and took away with them a country square barrelled, smooth bore GUN, rifle stocked , one pistol, and other firearms; it is supposed they stole a BOAT from Otter Point. Whoever takes up the said servants, shall have, if taken 10 miles from home, Ten Pounds; if out of the county, Fourteen Pounds; and if out of the province, the above reward, or in proportion for each, including what the law allows, paid by BUCKLER BOND, WILLIAM SMITHSON. *** It is like they will make for some vessel, therefore all masters of vessels, and others, are hereby forewarned from taking said servants, at their peril. March 26, 1775.

19th Century
In June 1839, one of the American Fur Company's employees bought from "Jacob and Sam. Hawkins" a "smooth bord rifle $22".

Ramsay Crooks of the American Fur Company in a letter dated August 22, 1840. addressed to James Henry, reveals that the Boulton Gun Works (one of the largest American manufactureres of various type trade firearms during the 1830-50's) was one of the factories that supplied "smooth bore rifles" to the trade. He also makes clear that the western Indians provided no market for such make-believe rifles: "We said in ours of July 29 that the smooth bored rifles would not suit us. The more we reflect upon it the more we are satisfied they will not answer at all for our Indian trade. When the Indians use a rifle it must be a real one, and they will not carry a smooth bore of such weight so long as they can get a North West Gun."

and there are many more such period references to "smooth rifles"

While the smooth rifles may never have attained the popularity of "real" rifles or lighter weight smooth bore following pieces/ trade guns, they were in fact a separate item offered by makers and not just reamed out rifles.
Thus while modern firearms collectors/students may continue to argue over whether a certain piece started life being rifled or smooth, the fact stands based on our historical knowledge base, that dedicated smooth rifles were being made that were never rifled at any time in their life and primary documentation does exist for them outside the guns themselves. IMO in part the idea that all or at least most smooth rifles began life as a real rifle is based on the "cult of the American Backwoods Rifleman" and the idea of why would anyone prefer a gun that is neither fish nor fowl so to speak when they could have had a real rifle...

Thanks LaBonte. I knew you or Spence or one of our other valued members would come through.

I am aware of that the smooth rifle existed and that is why I continued to state that I was not agruing that they didn't.

The Germans popularized them early and there are many examples of Jaeger styled large caliber smooth barreled hunting guns. Wild boar at close range perhaps?

My bone of contention is with making generalized statements without historical substantiation. Making a statement about commonality or average bore size based on a sampling of guns in one book written 200 years after the event is as responsible as saying every cap lock was once a flintlock because so many were converted.

I can play devil's advocate all day and find it fun to debate these things. That's how we learn and uncover the facts. One man presents a plausible theory and another disputes it and we hope it is handled in an adult and mature manner. Without soliciting evidence we are left without it most of the time and that is how miss-information is spread....and sometimes published. :wink:

Now, all that being said, I agree that much of what is believed is based in romance for the age of the frontier rifleman (just as every cowboy carried a Colt Peacemaker because Hollywood made it so). But isn't it plausible that some of the smooth rifles were once rifled? :hmm: :grin:

Thanks again, J.D.

Sir, I presented an observation based on a study of the information available to me. I believe a study of the specifications of a couple of hundred rifles and a summation of those specifications is information of value. What did you contribute of value to this discussion?
I stand by my statement that, regardless of whether a rifle was built smoothbore or rebored smooth the owner must have felt it was good for something, since it is unlikely that one would go to the bother and expense of having a barrel bored just to hang it on the wall.
While it is true that one cannot be certain that a rifle was not originally of smaller caliber than that which it bears today, one can be certain that it never was of larger caliber. Therefore the observation that smooth-rifles tend to be of smaller caliber than fowlers stands the test of logic. They are smaller today and it is possible that they may once have been even smaller still.
You made statements about the ease of reboring a rifle barrel which demonstrate your total ignorance of the matter. That is why I challenged you to try it, then you would have a clue, since your own statements make it obvious that you have not.

Hey, I was just trying to have a discussion, wasn't trying to change your mind. Everybody's entitled to their opinion and I respect your decision to stand by yours.

You're right. You did the best you could with what information you had.

However, you've formed your "opinion" of me based on very limited information too:

You made statements about the ease of reboring a rifle barrel which demonstrate your total ignorance of the matter. That is why I challenged you to try it, then you would have a clue, since your own statements make it obvious that you have not.
You yourself admitted that it could be done....but you said in an earlier post that gunsmiths of the day "would find boring out smooth to be pointless and counter productive." See, that's the problem....you are inserting your opinion as fact. You have no way of knowing what a gunsmith of the 19th century was thinking.

Are you sure I'm really showing how ignorant I am? :shake: Enjoy, J.D.

Do you have more extensive information than I have presented as to bore sizes of smooth-rifles? Do you in fact have any information at all? Do you have any basis what so ever to counter what I have posted? No, you do not, you just want to blather.

January 26, 1769
The Pennsylvania Gazette
RUN away from his bail, on the 9th of this inst. January, JOHN DAVIS, this country born, about 21 years of age, about 5 feet 5 inches high, of a sandy complexion, freckled, had a pretty large scar on the instep of one of his feet, occasioned by the cut of an ax, and he is pretty talkative; had on, when he went away, a blue broadcloth coat, with mohair buttons, a red plush waistcoat, leather breeches, and a fine hat; he also had other clothes, of a light ash colour, lined with striped linsey, the coat had no lining in the sleeves; these he had packed up in a pair of check trowsers; he may dispose of one suit; he took with him a smooth rifle gun , and as he has served his time, he may possibly produce his indenture. Whoever secures the said runaway in any goal, shall have FIVE POUNDS reward, paid by the subscriber in Forks township, Northampton county. GEORGE TIDFORD.

I got a real kick out of this entry. I have a good friend named John Davis who lives in Forks Township, Northhampton county, Pennsylvania. I called him and told him that I am going to turn him in for the reward money.

Vern

Deadeye, just got off the horn with Mr. Hoyt, he says he can drill it out to .50cal, which is good news to me. A week or so after Christmas I'll know more. Can't wait, gonna be a hoot! :v

WOW! The barrel arrived today, beautiful job, right out to .50cal. Now to re-brown and install. Mr. Hoyt did this work very reasonably, I'm very pleased. :thumbsup:

Blackfingers, if you can mike the bore I'd be interested in the exact diameter. If it's .500 you may have to get a smaller than .490 ball mould or use some very thin patches. About .510 would be about perfect for a .490 ball and .015 patch. Mine is .520 and I'm using a thick denim patch. What is the outside diameter of your barrel? Hank

Deadeye, I have the bore at .498 and the barrel at .830, looks like I will be "bareballing" it. I haven't gotten around to the range yet and will try to get there soon.

Don't settle on a bare ball. Hornady makes a .480 ball that should be perfect in your gun. And they can be ordered online from their website.

Addict is right, get some of the .480s and .015 spit patched pillow ticking should be about right.
You may have to make some adjustments to your sights. Deadeye

Thanks guys, in fact, I just altered a cleaning jag by narrowing the end so my patches don't get stuck. Track of the Wolf has balls in many sizes, that's where I'll go.
P.S. Tracks balls are Hornady .480, $15x100 count.

I have a suggestion, and some will agree while other may not, but it's worth all that it's costing you to read it. Personally, I would try the different size balls to find one that works well, and then buy a mould in that size. If it is an odd size, I would say contact Jeff Tanner. I have not personally dealt with him, but have read many good reports about him and his moulds right here on this forum, and if I remember right, he can cut you one in custom sizes based on what you need, instead of just the most common sizes like many manufacturers. At $15/100 RBs, you will pay for a mould pretty quickly, and then will be able to cast balls at will instead of being at any sellers mercy as to what they keep in stock. Just a thought. I personally have moulds to be able to feed everything I have. It gets expensive if you try to get a bunch all at once, but if you spread out the purchases over time, it isn't too bad, and very well worth it.

Back