• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth Bore Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone shooting a smooth bore revolver?
Hoping to hear about accuracy compared to a rifled barrel at typical tomato can distances.

Curious.....why would it be illegal if the barrel of a revolver was smooth??

Under US Federal Law (GCA-68) non-muzzleloading handguns are prohibited from having a smooth bore.

I have no idea why the anti's who wrote the law did that - most likely because non-muzzleloading smoothbores/shotguns had to have a minimum barrel length of 18", and the dumb bunnies included smoothbore handguns because they (usually) had barrels shorter than 18".

B/c the chamber size severely reduces the charges in c/b revolvers, once wads are included, there's not much room for shot. Other than #9 or "dust" shot, you could probably count out pellets. Modern pistol cartridge shotshells are sold for "snake" loads mostly. Rat, mice, sparrow ammo - not rabbits & squirrels. A few used a couple of buckshot. "Garden Guns" were popular years ago - mostly rimfire 9mm, etc.

Trick shootists back in the day used pistols loaded with shot for flying targets and also there were shotshells intended for riot control sold that would cycle in Thompsons. Smokeless powder give more room for shot than black.

Curious.....why would it be illegal if the barrel of a revolver was smooth??
With cartridge guns, a smooth pistol barrel is considered a sawed off shotgun.
With muzzleloaders, it does not matter.
Illegal if it is an unmentionable revolver. Percussion guns are OK under federal law. Your mileage may vary as far as challenging an unconstitutional local ordinance. I always thought something like that would be great for shooting at wasps with charges of table salt.

Would be a decent snake gun with very small shot.
You might be surprised how well it still shoots balls out to 15-20 yards.

I believe you totally missed my point.
What point? You said "Makes me want to build an unmentionable smoothbore wheel gun." My response was to indicate that it can be done legally. What point did I miss? Forgive me if I am too stupid to understand, but God did not give everyone an incredible intellect.

What point? You said "Makes me want to build an unmentionable smoothbore wheel gun." My response was to indicate that it can be done legally. What point did I miss? Forgive me if I am too stupid to understand, but God did not give everyone an incredible intellect.
He’s lifting a finger to the man?? Not what I would advise but hey…

Latest posts

Back