• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke pouring from barrel after fired

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that we are well into our second page of discussions and speculation about a rifle that we do not know the maker or how the breech is chambered, I'll add a bit of my speculation. A better answer could be given if we knew who made the friend's 0.54 caliber percussion rifle or what the design of the breech was. It would also benefit to know a bit more about the other rifles that do not smoke after firing.

My speculation is that he has a chambered breech. I also speculate that he cleans his rifle with a lot of liquid cleaner and stores his rifle after cleaning with a lot of oil left in the chambered breech that can't be dried out. Then the rifle is stored muzzle up so that whatever oil is left in the breech will leave large amounts of gelled oil residue. When fired, some of this gunk will continue to burn and smoke will be emitted from the muzzle for a short time after firing. I recommend for the friend to store his well cleaned rifle muzzle down so that the oil can drain from the breech and not build up that residue of smoldering gunk that burns after a shot is fired.
The gun is a custom gun and I don't know how it is breeched. But that sounds like a likely culprit. I will tell him to store the rifle muzzle down and see if it improves. All his other rifles are factory made.

The gun is a custom gun and I don't know how it is breeched. But that sounds like a likely culprit. I will tell him to store the rifle muzzle down and see if it improves. All his other rifles are factory made.
I dont know if anybody said this but fire a bunch of caps thru it

I would think that but his other rifles are cleaned the sameway without the same reaction. Before shooting he wipes out the barrel and fires about 6 caps thru it. The smoke thing happens every shot.
He's basically burning up the WD-40 stuff left in the barrel.

Horse Feathers. Ballistol is water soluble. A thin coat on a nail submerged in water simply washed the Ballistol away. Who stores their firearms under water.
A better test would have been same mail test conducted in a humid environment.

I have a friend who has a .54 cal. percussion rifle. He uses only pyrodex RS in all his rifles. He also uses only musket caps for best ignition. After firing the rifle the barrel still has smoke pouring from the bore. This does not happen with his other rifles. I asked him about how he cleans his rifles and he does them all the same, that is hot soapy water, dry patches and a light coating of WD. This only happens with this rifle. He also cleans the drum with a pipe cleaner. Any thoughts as to what is happening? He has not fired black powder out of it yet but his other guns fire pyro just fine.

If it is only on the first couple of shots or two it is probably excess oil burning off.
Try a lighter coat of some other kind of oil like Break Free or something and see if it still smokes.

Musket caps should not be necessary to make the rifle fire reliably.

I would think that but his other rifles are cleaned the sameway without the same reaction. Before shooting he wipes out the barrel and fires about 6 caps thru it. The smoke thing happens every shot.
EN, your friend should wipe the bore with a wet patch dampened with rubbing alcohol even after storing the rifle muzzle down. Six caps to clear the breech is really an excessive number of caps, especially if they are musket caps. He should run the pipe cleaner that is soaked in rubbing alcohol from the nipple seat to the powder chamber to loosen and clear the flash channel from the accumulated oils from the drum to the powder chamber.

If it is only on the first couple of shots or two it is probably excess oil burning off.
Try a lighter coat of some other kind of oil like Break Free or something and see if it still smokes.

Musket caps should not be necessary to make the rifle fire reliably.
He uses them on every rifle except his Seneca

Horse Feathers. Ballistol is water soluble. A thin coat on a nail submerged in water simply washed the Ballistol away. Who stores their firearms under water.
A better test would have been same mail test conducted in a humid environment.
I don't think that was water he dipped them in. It was some sort of solution that my guess is very corrosive.

1647964034988.png

Caps were fired (5) before shooting gun fired instantly but after smoke poured out after each shot.
Which seems to dispute any residual oils left from cleaning. If I read this tight he fired at least five shots. So my guess is for what ever reason the barrel simply vents more slowly than most.
Hypotheses: When fired pressure is created, this pressure forces projectile smoke and gases got out of the barrel and a minuscule amount back thru the nipple orifice. Pressure drops suddenly a partial vacuum is created. Air rushed in but very slowly thru the nipple vent. Pressure equalizes in the barrel and the trapped smoke exits.

Thanks guys for all your input. I guess bottom line is that it is not dangerous and just a specific thing with that gun. Thanks again!!! (probably would not happen with black but he is stuck on pyro.)

Thanks guys for all your input. I guess bottom line is that it is not dangerous and just a specific thing with that gun. Thanks again!!! (probably would not happen with black but he is stuck on pyro.)
I for one would love to see a video of this happening. it would spark another 40 pages of speculation!

Latest posts

Back