• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

small hunting horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soggy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Spent the last couple of weeks working on this one. The horn measures 10" along the outside curve, 2-1/8" in diameter. Butt plug is a piece of walnut that I found in an old bowling trophy, (waste not want not :winking: ) The antique look was achieved by using a bath of onion skins and apple-cider vinegar.
This was an attempt to "copy" a horn made by another member of this forum who has been offering me advice (and encouragement ) for the last year or so. :hatsoff: Thanks Griz.
:hmm: Even thought the horn is rather small by most standards, I'm sure that it will hold enough powder for a days hunting. And oh yes I will be installing an iron staple in the butt (just didn't want to go out to the shop and make one today brrrrrrrrr)

abbgriz3.jpg
[/img]

aabbgriz3.jpg
[/img]

very nice. im working on about a nine inch horn for my son. Do a little here and little there. Hope it turns out half as nice. :hatsoff:

That's a nice horn! You guys are making me want to get into horn making. :)

Nice one Soggy :bow: I understand that is not quite finished yet but I was wondering if you are planning to add any more scrimshaw on it? :confused: :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks fellars, it's about the best way I have found to spend a winters evening so far ( thought a bit different when I was a teenager :rotf: )
That's it for the scrimshaw on this one Silver Fox. Not really sure if I could add any more after "antiquing" without ruining the colour.
Soggy

Yea ya' can. Put a coat of paste wax on the whole horn, let it dry and buff it a little, then do your scrimshaw. The wax will make the excess ink come off easier. Just use a clean cloth or paper towel. I does it all the time. Especially if I sell one at a show and the buyer wants me to add something.

Griz said:
Yea ya' can. Put a coat of paste wax on the whole horn, let it dry and buff it a little, then do your scrimshaw. The wax will make the excess ink come off easier. Just use a clean cloth or paper towel. I does it all the time. Especially if I sell one at a show and the buyer wants me to add something.
:hatsoff: Hey Thanks Griz! Now I won't be afraid to try it. Better to find out from someone who knows than to try something new and "bugger up" 15-20 hrs. of work
Soggy

soggy said:
And oh yes I will be installing an iron staple in the butt (just didn't want to go out to the shop and make one today brrrrrrrrr)

Are you making your own staples? I learned from Curtis Wilburn, a long time horner at Friendship, Indiana, to make them out of bicycle spokes. They are extremely durable and work up great. You can pick up an endless supply at any bike shop and they are the perfect diameter. Just hammer, or file the spoke flat on the four sides and use a torch to blacken the spoke. The heat blackens the steel to a nice blue/gray. Cut the spoke to the length staple you want, then you can then bend the spoke into your staple. Pre-drill the horn or base to accept it and tap it in place. It will never break on you and you can make them as long as your want.

Ron

Nothing wrong with a small horn, squirrel rifles need horns, too! :grin:
Very neat work!
Moose

:thumbsup: Good idea ricktwin, I hadn't thought of bicycle spokes as a source of staple wire. I've been using coat hanger wire, and working them up the same way as Mr. Wilburn
:haha: Hey! "Different spokes for different folks " a saying like that could catch on :winking:
Soggy

Latest posts

Back