• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Priming Horn and Small Tin Containers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The heat around here has been terrible lately. Even though I have my own shooting range here at my home, it has just been too hot and humid the last couple of weeks to do any shooting. Thought I would make some accessories that I have been thinking I needed. I made a small priming horn out of a horn tip I had. I flattened it, installed a 3 grain spout and a brass removable nut on the end to facilitate filling it. It holds approximately 200 grains of FFFG and the spout seems to function very well with FFFG since I don't want to mess around using FFFFG for priming. I also made a small metal tin out of a Sucrets box. You burn the Sucrets label off with a propane torch. Then sand with 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. I attached some decoration to the top with epoxy glue after bluing or browning the tin. The fish decorated box is blued and the fox decorated box is browned. I have used the fox decorated box for years and thus it has some obvious age to it. These are very useful for carrying prelubed patches or other small items in your shooting bag. These are easy items to make and add to the enjoyment and satisfaction of your shooting and your hunts reminding you of something you created on your own everytime you use them.

Attachments

• IMG_4757.jpg
    IMG_4757.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4764.jpg
    IMG_4764.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4777 (3).jpg
    IMG_4777 (3).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
Are Sucrets still marketed in tin containers? I haven't seen any on the shelves in years. Heck, are they still even in business?

My young years were spent in Pierre South Dakota, great area. But I do recall it offering the worst of both climate extremes. 105 in the summer and 30 below in the winter. We moved to Minnesota where it didn't get quite that hot.

My young years were spent in Pierre South Dakota, great area. But I do recall it offering the worst of both climate extremes. 105 in the summer and 30 below in the winter. We moved to Minnesota where it didn't get quite that hot.
Pierre does tend to be a bit extreme. I remember salmon fishing there a few years ago and it was 115 degrees. The guy who supplied the boat and the downriggers finally said he had all the fun he could stand and we left the river for some shade and some ice cold beer. However, we did catch some nice salmon and lake trout in the 6 to 10 pound range before we became medium rare to well done. Great place to fish and hunt Canada Geese.

There are several things still sold in tins. I sandblast them and then paint them with hammered finish paints. Looks like bluing and browning will be something I try now.
Do you mean like the "cold blue" you use on guns?

Last edited:
Back