• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

small game opener MN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun232

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well i went out Saturday, and Sunday, trying to go after doves, but i could never get a clear shot at any. nevertheless i had to clear my 20 gauge sxs, so i targeted some red squirrels in a tree, got the 1st one at about 35 yards up high with the modified choke. I then targeted the second squirrel, at about 25 yards on the ground, and to my surprise i found 2 dead squirrels, so 2 with one shot, not bad.... to bad they are only red squirrels..

Shotgun: The only bad thing about that second shot is that 10 of those little buggers didn't fall out of the tree! :grin: :wink:

I don't know if God made those little hunt ruiner, irritating, chatterboxes first and then greatly improved on them with the grey and fox or last as a cruel joke!

Congrats on some fine shooting! :hatsoff:

Some years ago went squirrel hunting w/ my nephew and his friend Mark who I had never met and who had next to no experience hunting squirrels.

Came out of the woods after a few hrs and they were both at the car ....my nephew had 3 grays, I had shot 3 grays and a fox squirrel and Mark said he got seven. Looked at the back of his hunting vest and it was nearly flat.....thought he was fibbing, but then he started to take out the squirrels....seven very small chickarees or pine squirrels which were slightly larger than chipmunks.

He did clean the seven and took parts of them home {he also wasn't a good shot w/ a .22}, but can't verify whether he ate them.

My nephew for whatever reason periodically hunted w/ Mark and other neophytes and I preferred to hunt alone and somewhere else.

The red squirrels pictured are larger than chickarees and probably are better eating......Fred

When I wore a younger mans clothes, we called them pine squirrels or pineys. They are a lot smaller than a gray or a fox, but taste pretty much the same, as do chipmunks. Congratulations on a successful hunt or making the best of a situation........robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back