• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Squirrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBird

36 Cal.
Reaction score
With the deer season over, I finally got a chance to do some woods roaming to look for squirrels. I worked up a load for my 45 earlier in the year and filed the sights for a 30gr 3f charge which is dead on from 30-50 yards. I covered 3 miles and only saw 1 squirrel. No doubt my odds would increase if I sat still, but I've been sitting in the woods for months.

This guy was about 45 yards away sitting on a limb up an oak tree, taking a knee and using a tree for a brace made the shot fairly easy. I can see how addicting it is waiting for the smoke to clear and seeing a squirrel freefalling to the ground.

I need a better way to carry these guys when i get back out in the woods, this one slipped the knot i had tied hanging from my pack, had to backtrack a little ways and got lucky it was only 100yards or so from when i noticed he was gone. It's hard enough to find a squirrel when you know where it fell. What way do you guys like to carry small game? In a game bag, tethers?

PXL_20230106_164613746.jpg

Congrats on a great shot. Not a gimme on a squirrel head at 45 yards! :thumb:

I always skin and gut them in the field as it makes the chore so much easier than when they get cold and stiff! That is especially true for larger older squirrels. I then put them in a gallon ziploc (with a little snow if its around) and that goes in my haversack. Also nice when you get home to just have to clean them up and either cook or vacuum pack.
2023-01-06_06-05-49.jpg

With the deer season over, I finally got a chance to do some woods roaming to look for squirrels. I worked up a load for my 45 earlier in the year and filed the sights for a 30gr 3f charge which is dead on from 30-50 yards. I covered 3 miles and only saw 1 squirrel. No doubt my odds would increase if I sat still, but I've been sitting in the woods for months.

This guy was about 45 yards away sitting on a limb up an oak tree, taking a knee and using a tree for a brace made the shot fairly easy. I can see how addicting it is waiting for the smoke to clear and seeing a squirrel freefalling to the ground.

I need a better way to carry these guys when i get back out in the woods, this one slipped the knot i had tied hanging from my pack, had to backtrack a little ways and got lucky it was only 100yards or so from when i noticed he was gone. It's hard enough to find a squirrel when you know where it fell. What way do you guys like to carry small game? In a game bag, tethers?

View attachment 187944
Nice rifle
Nice shot
I just use a length of rope, whipped at both ends, about 24" long. I loop it over top of my belt, then when I "hang" the squirrel along one of the two lengths, I twist it a tad tighter, pull one of the three strands loose, put the squirrel head through the opening and the natural tension on the twist cinches the loop tight around the squirrel's throat..., plus I can feel if the rope suddenly has less weight if on the off chance the lil bugger falls free... IF I get a second squirrel, I put it on the empty length opposite the first, and so on...

LD

Congrats on a great shot. Not a gimme on a squirrel head at 45 yards! :thumb:

I always skin and gut them in the field as it makes the chore so much easier than when they get cold and stiff! That is especially true for larger older squirrels. I then put them in a gallon ziploc (with a little snow if its around) and that goes in my haversack. Also nice when you get home to just have to clean them up and either cook or vacuum pack.View attachment 187992
That's exactly what I do when rabbit hunting IF there's any snow. Clean them on the spot, put them into a plastic bag, then drop them into my hunting pack.

Either way, even with squirrels, they go into my hunting pack whether they are cleaned or not.

View attachment 187944
Congrats on the first one. And with a flintlock to boot! Doesn't get much better than that.

Carry a length of cord like a long nylon boot lace. Make a slip not and place it around the squirrel body behind the front legs. It won’t slip out. You can then make additional slip knots along the cord for additional squirrels. This has worked for me for years. You can make a loop and carry it in your off hand and just drop it when another shot presents itself or tie it on your belt or bag.

Years ago I use to use one of those large safety pen type things that was used to attach a hunting licenses to a hunters back. Use to be mandatory in some states. I would pen the squirrels through the lips and then to through my pants or belt. Kind of like a fish stringer. It worked well, minus the blood that got on my pants and if there wasn't too many squirrels attached to it.

Now I simply use my day hunting pack. Put them down in a plastic bag and drop them in.

I need a better way to carry these guys when i get back out in the woods, this one slipped the knot i had tied hanging from my pack

Just tie a small bowline loop in the end and slip the other end in it to make a noose. Bowlines never slip.

If you have more than one squirrel, you can make a carrier out of a wide piece of leather. Punch holes in the 2 short borders and thread a piece of cord through each hole after tying a knot in the leather end. Use the above-mentioned arrangement at the other end. Place the leather over your shoulder with squirrels hanging front and back.

1673275524600.png

This is a fancy version but the homemade ones work just as good.

Latest posts

Back