• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sloppy inletting repair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a wood filler on the market that is almost a well-kept secret. It is Timber-Mate. An Australian product that does what the other brands wish they could do. It is water soluable and keeps well. It takes stains very well, unlike other brands that don't. It does come in various shades as well. Slightly more expensive than most but a real project saver when needed. I wish I owned stock in the company because once you use it you will never go back to the 'other stuff'. Also a trick told to me by a gunsmith friend is to use Fiebings leather dye on wood instead of standard stains. Using that he can hide 'misteaks' better than with other methods.

Thanks for the tip on Timber Mate - after a quick google search, can even get it "off the shelf" at the local hardware store in rural Canada :hatsoff:

Will definitely give it a try.

It's more work but if you have access to a welder you can cut the old tang off and replace it with a larger tang, then inlet to it. The picture below shows a GPR that I put together awhile back. The tang inlet was too large from the factory. I cut the old tang off just behind the screw hole nearest the breech, then welded a longer wider tang onto the unit using a common 120V MIG welder. The "weld" rust browned okay as well.

Back