• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sizing caps for revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I found an article with a segment on sizing caps to fit a revolver. They say to take an old diagonal plier with wire cutter and drill a hole in the cutter to proper size so you can crimp #11 caps to fit a revolver.

Anybody ever do this?

I just tried some #11 Remingtons and CCI's on my 1851 Navy and they fall right off.

With gas prices what they are I don't really want to drive to Bass Pro Shops.

HD

i crimped or pinched mine a bit by hand before putting on nipple. this works in a pinch, but i have been much happier with no 10 caps , to such a point, i am using them on my rifles as well to keep from having two different size caps on hand in my bag.

personally the plier idea sounds good to me, i may even take an old pair of mine today and modify to see how well it works.

duke21

A lot of people believe that the reason for chain fires is not the flame getting past the grease and ball to ignite the powder from the front, but the flame travelling through the nipple and underneath a loose fitting cap to ignite the powder from the rear.
Use properly fitting caps.

I'm one that feels that is probably the most common reason for chain fires.

It is why I stress to anyone shooting a C&B revolver to always keep an eye on the nipples after every shot. If the caps aren't a tight fit, they can become dislodged by the recoil of firing a chamber and even fall off of the still loaded chambers.
If that happens, there is a direct path for the flames coming out the back of the firing chamber into the next (uncapped) chamber. A sure fire way to ruin your day.

I just pinch mine until they fit. Not the fastest reload method but if I wanted fast, I'd be shooting one of my bottom feeders, not a c&b right then! :grin:

You might try 10's. In fact, the nipples might be #10 size anyway. Some are, some aren't, and some factories switch between the two and their owners manual isn't accurate about which size to use. You can just squeeze them between your fingers if you need to, but it's a hassle.

ittaylor said:
Even 10 remingtons are loose on my 51 navy. I pinch them, which seems to work.

That's bad news to me because I just went to Bass Pro and paid $5.99 per hundred for #10's
Good thing I only bought two tins!
I'll try them and see how they fit.

I see myself buying replacement nipples in the near future for #11 caps.

HD

Back