• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sitting Fox forge gun kits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one built them or had dealings with the company ?And if so how was it? they have very competitively priced kits. May not be PC but seem just right for a begginer like me.

I'm working on a Sitting Fox Custom Muzzleloaders youth kit. It is a Northwest Trade gun design. It's a good kit with quality parts that is worth the money. Ray Franks is easy to deal with in my experience.

Smiling Fox Forge is a different entity that I don't have any experience with.

Old Salt

The prices are what caught my eye. On some of the kits I noticed they used CVA and DGW locks. Hows the quality of thees ?

I have been checking out Ray's stuff too. The CVA locks he is using come with bridle and fly. The CVA locks that I have owned/used with bridle and fly are very reliable. Although I don't know about how PC the looks of a CVA lock. But on the other hand, how PC is a large Siler? There are deffinately better locks, but for the money they seem pretty reliable.

HMR

#1 for me is shooting. It needs to spark.
#2 Good for beggener.
#3 will be looks.
#4 maybe I will go to an event as I have been invited so I would only need to get by for a little bit.
I am looking for a second kit to build after I do my Ohio kit, And don't want to spend $700.00 on potential firewood !

The kit I bought comes standard with a Chamber's small Siler lock. Ray also offered the option of using a Chamber's Queen Anne's pistol lock or an L&R Manton. I thought the Queen Anne's lock was more correct for a Trade gun so that's what I got.

Old Salt

HalfMoonRanger said:
I have been checking out Ray's stuff too. The CVA locks he is using come with bridle and fly. The CVA locks that I have owned/used with bridle and fly are very reliable. Although I don't know about how PC the looks of a CVA lock. But on the other hand, how PC is a large Siler? There are deffinately better locks, but for the money they seem pretty reliable.

HMR

Ditto, first rock lock I built back in the early 70's used the CVA lock with bridle & fly, still going strong.

1TWO.jpg

I'm also looking into a Kit from Sitting Fox. Very easy to deal with. Does anyone have more Pics of finished kits? or of a French Fusil Kit?

Try[url] www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com[/url]

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks HalfMoon! Did you get the Kit? If so let me know how it comes out! Post some Pics.

Back