• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone do a Sitting Fox Muzzleloaders Build ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a Sitting Fox kit a number of years ago for my 9 y/o. Was a CVA squirrel barrel and CVA lock, but the stock (Full length) and all the furniture was what you'd find in about any kit. Needed to finish inletting the lock and all the furniture, shape the stock, finish the brass, etc etc. Was a full up build and my first one at that. His service/response time was top notch. Answered all my questions, supplied some small parts I had asked for that were not part of the kit, etc. He even threw in a powder horn to get my son started. The rifle turned out fantastic and has served him well. He's long since outgrown it, but I am certain it'll be handed down in the future.

Couple build pics...

ml4.jpg

ml15.jpg

IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0838 (1).JPG
ml1.jpg

I built a Sitting Fox kit a number of years ago for my 9 y/o. Was a CVA squirrel barrel and CVA lock, but the stock (Full length) and all the furniture was what you'd find in about any kit. Needed to finish inletting the lock and all the furniture, shape the stock, finish the brass, etc etc. Was a full up build and my first one at that. His service/response time was top notch. Answered all my questions, supplied some small parts I had asked for that were not part of the kit, etc. He even threw in a powder horn to get my son started. The rifle turned out fantastic and has served him well. He's long since outgrown it, but I am certain it'll be handed down in the future.

Couple build pics...

View attachment 185029
View attachment 185028
View attachment 185025View attachment 185026View attachment 185027
Looks real nice for a first time build, when I do my rifle one of these day's I'd be happy if mine came out like your's .

I saw a video on You Tube where the guy call his kit a “shitting fox” and it’s bad, I mean REAL BAD. Probably not a true representation of their product but a possibility of what you could get? Piss poor inletting, epoxied lock mortise etc.
You should definitely watch this before you buy.

Unfortunately it's not the parts kit you get from Sitting Fox. The issues start depending on WHO he farms the work out to on your kit. Some are very good and some not so much.
Personally I would go with either a custom builder with a good reputation or one of the better kit company's. Kibler, Chamber's or Petonica . Their are a couple others but I have no experience with them.

I saw a video on You Tube where the guy call his kit a “shitting fox” and it’s bad, I mean REAL BAD. Probably not a true representation of their product but a possibility of what you could get? Piss poor inletting, epoxied lock mortise etc.
You should definitely watch this before you buy.
Every time I see Sitting Fox, I think of that video. Yikes!!

Here is the link if you want to see how bad.

I will add that my Kibler kit was actually less than this guys $1600 kit and the Kibler was perfect. I never built a muzzle loader before and it took me about 30 hours to complete and most of that was me being anal about the finishing. I could have assembled and shot the rifle unfinished in about 8 hours.

Thanks for the video.

It looks like the builder is not capable of doing quality work. He should never have been tasked by Sitting Fox. He made a total mess of it. Charging for that is not OK. Based on the mayhem he was obligated to buy a new parts set. Did he use the Philips lock bolt??

Word of warning, never drop a flintlock cock with the frizzen foreword. That will bend the cock.

Sitting Fox? Parts is parts. The part set bundlers get the same parts from the same vendors. There is no significant difference between them.

Last edited:
I sent an email to them inquiring about the lead time on a trade gun kit January 26th and have yet to get a reply. Some will say call on the phone, I say don't have a websiite with an email address if you aren't gonna use it in your business. I don't know the guy, guess it doesn't matter. The website looked nice.

I know of someone who bought a rifle kit from Sitting Fox.
It was shipped to him directly from Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply. In Pecatonica's box, too.
🙋🏻‍♂️ 6-7 months late with very little information or updates, and parts missing. Wasn’t until I asked for my money back that I received a shipping notification.

I sent an email to them inquiring about the lead time on a trade gun kit January 26th and have yet to get a reply. Some will say call on the phone, I say don't have a websiite with an email address if you aren't gonna use it in your business. I don't know the guy, guess it doesn't matter. The website looked nice.
The prices don’t match up, either. Personally, I felt it was deceiving

Everyone who orders from Sitting Fox has to realize that they , to my knowledge don't make any of the products they sell. Everything is ordered from his home. That is his shop if you want to call it that. All work is farmed out to whoever will do it for him.
A few years ago he wanted to have me do gun work for him in exchange for labor be would give me gun parts.
I have known Ray on an off for over 35 + years. I politely declined. Just saying

Back