• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

single or double triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering how many that have the double set triggers, use the set trigger while hunting? I only have single trigger on both of the rifles that I have. I can see a advantage for target shooting but for hunting :hmm: . Just wondering thanks

All you need a well placed single trigger for hunting. All my guns have single triggers and light let offs. I like to keep everything simple on my hunting guns.

Set triggers take some getting use to. I like them but I would advise anybody to use what is comfortable to them.

I hunt with set triggers because I don't have any single trigger guns. Now for hunting I can cock the hammer without making any noise. Don't spook the animals. Only setting the trigger I have never figured how to do that quietly and for that reason alone if I had a choice I would go with the single trigger for hunting. Yes deer can hear the click when you set your trigger almost farther than I like to shoot.
Fox :hatsoff:

I hunt with double set triggers. I love them on the range also.

Here's a tip for hunting. With your rifle at half-cock, go ahead and set the set trigger. Then when you come to full cock for the shot at game your trigger is already set. This eliminates one of the clicks that could be heard by the deer.

HD

IF you pull the trigger back and hold it back while you cock the hammer( or cock), then release the trigger and lower the hammer down to the full cock notch, there won't be any " Click " to be heard at all. If you cock the gun while holding the the gun against your stomach, even setting the trigger does not produce an audible " click". Your hand acts as a sound buffer as you pull the trigger, blocking part of the lock. If you cradle the gun in your forearm, your left hand can come around and muffle the sound coming out the forward portion of the lock. Keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until the gun is mounted to your face and shoulder, and the sights are aligned with the game you intend to shoot. only then move your trigger finger to the front of the trigger guard, and then along the bottom of the trigger guard until you make contact with the trigger. If you are using a set trigger, make your final sight alignment, take a deep breath, let some of it out, focus on the front sight, and roll your trigger finger against the trigger to fire the gun. If you role it rather than pull it towards you, you avoid a possible jerk or flinch moving the sights off your POA.

That's what I've been doing Dawg. Works fine.

My biggest hassle is pulling on the set trigger rather than the front trigger when running on instinct and not thinking. I'm zeroing in on some kind of short barreled rifle for fast, close range shooting in timber and brush and that one is going to have a single trigger. Just no time for thinking or mistakes in the kind of shooting I'll use it for.

Smokehouseman was with me when I shot a deer this fall. I jumped it out of its bed at six or eight feet, then popped it when it stopped and looked back at me at about 20 yards. Never got around to telling him the rest of the story, so here it is now: I swung and "squeezed off a shot" as it ran broadside at about 15 feet. No bang because I pulled the set trigger instead of the one I needed. Good thing it stopped when it did, cuzz by then all I had was a Texas heart shot or a neck shot.

You in the Land of Enchantment right now Smokehouseman? I'm still here in the land of coconuts and every other kind of nut for the next few days.

I've used mine with success while hunting. Built a nice big shooting house with a benchrest over a bean field and was able to use the set trigger and take my pick of tasty looking does who were feeding calmly.

Have always used set triggers for hunting...the set trigger does make a click when cocking that spring...but in all the times I've done it with a deer in sight they've apparently never heard it or ignored it as it's never bothered any of them

Set triggers is my favorite. I use them for all shooting, unless gun don't have them. Ever one I have has a screw to adjust the tension. Dilly

Right now all my guns have set triggers but for hunting large game I do not use the set trigger. I do use the set trigger for squirrel since they don't stay still for more than a second and I want the shot to go off as soon as I touch the trigger.

Always had double set triggers on my muzzleloaders. Like Huntin Dawg says you can set the trigger with the hammer on half cock then all you have to do is cock it and fire. I even have a couple centre fire rifles with set triggers. A 7 x 57 Mauser mannlicher with double sets and a Brno 602 in 375 H&H with a single set trigger that may be my favourite setup. I am seriously thinking of putting a single set on my next MZ project.

Mountainman56 said:
Always had double set triggers on my muzzleloaders. Like Huntin Dawg says you can set the trigger with your rifle on half cock then all you have to do is cock it and fire. I even have high power centre fire rifles with set triggers. A mauser 7 x 57 mannlicher with double sets and a Brno 602 in 375 H&H with a single set trigger that may well be my favourite set up, so much so that I'm thinking of installing a single set in my next MZ project.
Just to clarify, if TC's Hawken models had better front triggers I'd use them, but most are very heavy and I don't use them.

Plus...after a couple thousand shots at the range during the year with a set trigger, when I try to switch to the manual trigger I find it difficult...execution is slow because I forget to take up the slack...then I don't know when it going to to trip the sear compared to just using the set trigger...meanwhile the clock is ticking, then the deer starts moving, etc

Mountainman56 said:
Like Huntin Dawg says you can set the trigger with the hammer on half cock then all you have to do is cock it and fire.

I learned that trick from a wise old mountain man.

:wink:

HD

Thanks to all for your comments. I was wondering because I'm thinking of getting a rifle that has double set triggers. The two I have are single. This would be a 58 Cal. to add to the 45 and 54 that I have. Not sure I need a 58 but why not. Thanks again

Set on half cock...so glad I belong to this forum...it's like "I could have had a V-8"!

Back