• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Revenant

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have recently acquired a new Pedersoli Frontier (Cabela's Blue Ridge). Although I am familiar with muzzle loading I have never owned a rifle or musket with a double set trigger; and have a few queries regarding their mechanics.

I have noticed that prior to engaging the set trigger it can move back and forth freely, once it has been set and is under tension this movement disappears. I was curious if there is a way to remove this play, or if it is just a quirk of the double set trigger mechanism.

Hello all,

I have recently acquired a new Pedersoli Frontier (Cabela's Blue Ridge). Although I am familiar with muzzle loading I have never owned a rifle or musket with a double set trigger; and have a few queries regarding their mechanics.

I have noticed that prior to engaging the set trigger it can move back and forth freely, once it has been set and is under tension this movement disappears. I was curious if there is a way to remove this play, or if it is just a quirk of the double set trigger mechanism.
So when you write "freely" do you not like the fact that it moves, or is it "loose" and makes noise when unset?

LD

It is able to move back and forth slightly, towards the muzzle and back towards the stock.
Yes that's normal.

The Frontier rifle has some quirks.

First, the lock is held in place by a single lock bolt BUT Pedersoli saw fit to put a wood screw through the front portion of the the lock plate. Be careful when removing the the lock and especially when replacing the lock that you don't strip out the wood.

The barrels are 1:48 twist which will shoot round ball and conical bullets. BUT IF you have a .54 then the barrel is 1:65 twist rate and likely will shoot a .54 patched ball the best.

The breech needs to be kept very clean. Pedersoli uses a Chambered Breech. IF you don't keep the chamber clean, crud can build up and give you fits. A lot of people get a .22 pistol brush and use that on the end of a cleaning rod to get into the chamber, and scrub it out.

Finally, sometimes the rifling is very sharp on the Frontier, and cuts patches. Examine your fired and recovered patches for holes, especially if you get a nice symmetric pattern of six small holes. This is often corrected by taking small squares of "green scrubby" pot scrubbing pad, and lapping the bore.

LD

BREECH STYLES.JPG

Yes that's normal.

The Frontier rifle has some quirks.
The breech needs to be kept very clean. Pedersoli uses a Chambered Breech. IF you don't keep the chamber clean, crud can build up and give you fits. A lot of people get a .22 pistol brush and use that on the end of a cleaning rod to get into the chamber, and scrub it out.
Ditto that, OP. If you haven't yet shot and cleaned your bore you should know that a typical breech scraper tip will NOT clean the breech on your rifle.

Hmmm, something strange is afoot... I posted a couple photos to help explain what I was referring to and my post has vanished... I will post them again.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Loyalist Dave, that is very interesting about the breech! I have a TOW flint flush that I plan to use for cleaning, would that be enough to get the job done? Or still worth sticking a .22 brush down there?
Trigger 1.jpeg
Trigger 2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back