• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

single barrel 20 Gauge BP Shotgun ...I want one !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a single barrel , 20 gauge ( or cal. smooth bore that is close) for just hunting. It don't need to be fancy..just a good gun that isn't too $$$$$ ! What should I look at ??? Thanks...Jeff

If you're looking for a cap lock Go to gun shows and buy a good original, they are fairly cheap.

I have a 28g halfstock cap gun from Dixie Gun Works and I love it for rabbit and squirral...very light to tote all day and no recoil to speak of....I have even used it for deer with a PRB in the past, but never got to shoot one with it....shot well on paper at 25/50 yrds, but that would be the limit, at least for me, given the bead front sight and no rear sight...lke like it for what it is!

Ranger

Jeff,
I built one, 20 ga, using a Remington 870 vent rib barrel and an underhammer,H&A, action. Did the same with a 36", 12 ga, vent rib barrel for shooting trap.
Mark

I have a pair of Renegades with .62 cal smoothbores, one flint, one percussion. They are not a fowler, but they deliver the shot downrange. I'll send you a pm.

I'd be real clear in your mind how you want to use it, then pick the details from there.

Probably the cheapest way into a 20 gauge is to pick up a used GM drop-n barrel in 62 cal smoothbore. GM doesn't make them any more, but they pop up now and then used in the $200-$250 range.

They're 1", so I dropped mine into a TC Hawken stock. Ick. Fine for shooting RB, but that hooked butt was problematic for quick shooting with shot. Moved it to a Renegade stock, and it was better for shot, but the sights were kinda in the way for me. Worse yet, it's kind of a crowbar weight and balance-wise for wing shooting or quick rabbits.

If you're looking to do both, I'd go for a "fowler" design. If you're looking mostly at shot, I'd go for a SxS or a light single barrel if you can find one.

IMO, smooth bores are the most practical ML there is. With ball and shot, big game one day, rabbits and squirrels the next. Not to mention smoothies are just plain fun.

This is a 20 balls to the pound fusil de chasse I stocked several years ago, and it is my favorite ML bar none. 46" swamped Getz barrel, shoulders to POA like a dream.

Fusildechasse2-1.jpg

Few years back I got one of the GM $100.00 .54 (28 ga) flinter TC drop in barrels when on sale. Like you say. kinda like a heavy club and the rifle sights had to go, but was a near perfect drop in on my old style TC Hawken. If I wasn't afraid of stresses warping it, I would taper turn the barrel round from just in front of the nose cap to the muzzle.

The TC had a 32" Orion .45 caliber 1:48 drop in barrel on it when I got it used. That barrel with a globe bead front sight made the it into one of the most accurate flinter rifles I have.

jeffdrown said:
I have a TC Hawkins 50. Cal. flintlock. Maybe a GM for Hawkins I could use ?

IIRC that 50 cal has a 15/16" barrel, so it won't go to 62 cal/20 gauge. Mine is a capper, but another IIRC, I believe a member here changed the breech on one to make it flint. Could have been original flint, but foggy memory says no, he had to change it.

For 15/16" barrels TC made a 56 cal smooth barrel, and it was very highly regarded. There was one here on the want ads before the first of the year, but I haven't checked to see if it's still there.

Back