• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It ain't about killing something

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO..., for me it's about seeing something. When I was first getting into BP hunting, it was all traditional in those days btw, I didn't mind not getting a shot, as long as I saw a deer, or whatever I was after that day. I liked just knowing the critters were out there and I had a chance..., I just needed to get better at hunting.

Then I read The Still Hunter by Theodore S. Van Dyke. Now this guy hunted in California at the beginning of the 20th century with a modern carbine, but he was limited by his ammo as we are, and he was in thick brush very much like the woods a lot of us find ourselves with today. He was also at one point a guide for Teddy Roosevelt, not a slouch as a hunter, so I figured this guy might know some good stuff. So I learned about moving and about what the deer behavior is in brush, and wind, etc.

Which caused me to "see" more. When I started, I looked to see the animal(s)... to feel I had a good hunt. So not getting a shot wasn't a bad hunt, but not actually seeing the game animal, was kinda "deflating". BUT after reading that book, a couple times, I started to notice much more in the woods. I didn't "see" the animals, but I saw where they had been, and how recent. Where they had slept, where the buck had rubbed his antlers free of velvet, or worked out his frustrations on a helpless sapling. I saw other critters too, as I was much better at moving through the woods and sitting still as well.

I've seen birds of prey make a kill (well at least somebody got something that day LOL) and watched chipmunks have territory disputes. I've been visited by chipmunks who perched upon my toe and looked up at my while munching on a nutmeat, and gazing up at me with curiosity in their eyes. I've seen several species of woodpecker, found what was left of a yellowjacket nest after a skunk had breakfasted on them (I kept the nest pieces as wadding for my rifle). I've found field mouse tunnels beneath crusty snow, and where one of them mice was unfortunate enough taken by an owl or a hawk (well not unfortunate for the bird-HA). I've seen black bear, and I've seen an odd yellowish stump at a distance that turned out to be a bobcat..., I've seen fox, and I've seen fox kits at play. There have been turkeys that move amazingly fast on their feet when they saw me, and there are bald eagles now, where there were none when I was not yet old enough to drive. I've seen some strange as heck insects, too, all of this and more things, beaver, a piebald deer, sandhill cranes, ... because I have learned how to see.

Come to think of it..., I can't go into the woods and avoid seeing something interesting these days....

LD
Dave, I wish I had written this. Beautifully worded! And it conveys my experiences and feelings so much better than I ever could. Thank you. Dan

My first reason for hunting being out in the wild. The second reason is my desire to shoot hogs and coyotes. Then there is the deer thing.

i shoot hogs and coyotes, don't care that the shot scares away old mossy horns.

Since about 2008 i've passed on three bucks that scored 170-190 B&C points. Two bucks would have required several people to pack out. The third buck was on my property. Watched that solid 180 B&C buck browse in the game plot 40 yards away for 20-25 minutes. Gave him pass on the last day of deer gun season.

I love to still hunt white tail deer. Been hunting since I was 12 and never missed a season in 68 years. Still hunt white tail usually alone now days since most of my buddies have quit hunting due to various ailments with aging. I have good skills as a still hunter and am very patient. I also love the small animals like squirrels, rabbits, quail, opposums etc during my still hunts. I've been blessed with excellent health and will add another season this year I Pray. No deer kills in the last few years but I'll keep going. The huning experience is it for me!
It's called hunting not killing right!

I enjoy hunting I really do…the hunt is an amazing experience.

But most of the time…I enjoy watching the animals, be they deer, elk, antelope…squirrels and rabbits. You learn so much by simply observing these animals in their environment going about their daily lives. A big hen turkey, guiding her newly hatched brood across a grassy vail…that is an amazing sight. I’ve walked many times into a flock of turkeys during the dog days of summer…it’s pretty heady stuff

Quail are amazing. It’s amazing to see this tiny little hen take her brood out feeding. And if their little family is startled and they flush, the chicks don’t even look like a game bird…more like a swarm of little fuzzy insects taking off in all directions….a swarm of bees.

Squirrels are fun to watch and observe…I’ve come to understand the why’s and wherefore’s of my successes and failures when hunting these goofy little fuzzballs. They are pretty much a sunshine creature. They can’t stand to hole up if the sun is out and it’s remotely nice…but give them a poor weather day, they will curl up and stay in; but after 3 days of poor weather…they can’t take it any more, and out they come, falling snow, wind…rain, they will avoid rainy days, as much as possible; unless the forest cover is thick and food is nearby, then they will make a quick forage for food…back home they go.

In recent years, the elk along the Northern Colorado front range, have come down into tge lowlands. I see them all the time now. This is an animal that I truly love to hunt, stalk, watch…they are majestic. The spike bulls, that first fall of their lives. You watch them…they want to be back with the cows, but the herd bull keeps them at bay. The bulls are not that smart, it’s the cow…the main old cow of the herd that is the smart one. She can tell instantly if something is wrong, if something is out of place.

I enjoy watching the wildlife that we are blessed to have…

Things change and I have learned in my own way that as I grow older, what i thought was important or absolute when I was young, has now morphed and changed into something different and that I have learned things are not always black n white, and to embrace the changes. I appreciate ALL animals and do not kill, unless they are hurt, rabid, or attacking and i have no choice. I have no problem with ethical meat hunters nor "game management" because it is an unfortunate necessity due to shrinking habitat and lack of predators etc., that allow some animals to breed in numbers that can actually be detrimental to them in the long run(deer & pigs). Every one finds their own path in their own time.

I love to still hunt white tail deer. Been hunting since I was 12 and never missed a season in 68 years. Still hunt white tail usually alone now days since most of my buddies have quit hunting due to various ailments with aging. I have good skills as a still hunter and am very patient. I also love the small animals like squirrels, rabbits, quail, opposums etc during my still hunts. I've been blessed with excellent health and will add another season this year I Pray. No deer kills in the last few years but I'll keep going. The huning experience is it for me!
It's called hunting not killing right!
I was a "still" hunter too. It is amazing what you can see & hear when you actually sit, watch & listen, and do not move about. IMHO

FOr many, many years I have hunted with 2 of my sons. That is the highlight of the year for me. We're basically meat hunters. Deer and elk are much healthier than store bought beef. We've hunted hogs on a friends lease in Oklahoma. Whether we get skunked or come out with a bonus of goodies, it's always fun, an adventure. There are always new scenes even in the places we hunt on a regular basis, always something new to see, and hear. The sound of elk bugling at 3:00am in the morning is something you just can't describe. At 74 I've slowed down a bit on the trails, and they have slowed with me and for me. My grandson has joined us many times on our hunts from as little as 4 years old. These are just memories you just cherish forever.

Back