• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silver Bullets and flint?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AWE COME ON, NOW! I've never heard of a werewolf heavier than 230 lbs. Most run well under 200. Also I've never seen one out in daylight (despite what the movies say); they only come out at night-the moon, remember? Perhaps what you killed was just a really big swamp boojum. I'm also surprised you even survived the encounter; those thing are NASTY! Not many people know this but you can use doggie biscuits dipped in bacon fat to stall them-kinda like shooting your partner in the leg when charged by a grizzly bear.

You must be talking about southern werewolves, Canadian werewolves often top 300. Your right about the night part. They also like the Northern Lights. Up here we bait them with politicians at night.

I don't think you fellows are real Weirwolf hunters. The real "Wolfer" will stalk the beast until they return to the form of a man. I then shoot them with a Colt Patterson. No problem. :)

ebiggs said:
From the sublime to the ridiculous in three easy steps.

With the constant HC discussions that permeate this forum I got carried away. Gotta admit though that there is something charmingly ridiculous about our chosen passion, or addiction, of muzzleloaders.

How else can one read a thread discussing the HCness of bear grease versus ballistol. It is funny, come on lets laugh a bit.

hanshi said:
ozark57 said:
The last werewolf I killed weighed in at just over 285 lbs. and was taken by may .62 smoothbore using a cast silver bullet .015 patch with 85gr. of FFFg. at around 35 yards. I quickly reloaded, but after following a blood trail for about 100 yards found him dead hanging over a log. The ball expanded little, but took out vital organs.

Hope this helps clear up this subject. :wink:

AWE COME ON, NOW! I've never heard of a werewolf heavier than 230 lbs. Most run well under 200. Also I've never seen one out in daylight (despite what the movies say); they only come out at night-the moon, remember? Perhaps what you killed was just a really big swamp boojum. I'm also surprised you even survived the encounter; those thing are NASTY! Not many people know this but you can use doggie biscuits dipped in bacon fat to stall them-kinda like shooting your partner in the leg when charged by a grizzly bear.

Baiting is illegal in Arkansas. :idunno:

True story, a friend found a can of old silver badly worn coins, gave me a few for possible thumb rests or home made front sights. He had a Gunsmith melt the rest and molded 38-55 bullets. I think he ended up with close to a full box of 20. I saw him shoot one at the range to test his reloads out and the rest, he wants to shoot at least one deer with a silver bullet up in Maine. I'm sure if he sees any Werewolves he'd probably **** his pants and run the other way but who knows, he just might shoot it. :idunno: Either way, he's prepared. :haha:

Silver bullets or not .. I don't expect to be out and about around werewolves out of season :shake: ... thim Texican game wardens is sumthin fierce! :hmm:

Fact is we uses Mexican silver pesos down here for the festivities and have a werewolf round up oncet a year just to give the coyotes a chance at our livestock :thumbsup: ... thim Werewolf calf fries taste plumb turrible ta boot ... :barf:

Davy :hatsoff:

Politicians, eh? I like that. How about an invite?

And to everybody: who thinks we are kidding about this? :nono:

One time I shot a werewolf in my pajamas.
How he got in my pajamas I'll never know!

Thats good Ernie :rotf: I know but I won't tell. Your secrets are safe with me. :idunno:

Dont quite understand why yall have to shoot them werewolves with the big guns? I was out one night jackalope hunting and caught sight of a werewolf, shot him with my .36 Hatfield while running backwards, dropped him in his tracks! :blah:

-----shoot acorns at squirrels --they see the nut coming and try to catch it----- :idunno:

Pure silver is rather soft but has a mass of 107g/mol as opposed to lead's 207g/mol. Remember the stories about how people used to see if silver coins were real by biting them? People actually did.

It should be able to engage the rifling fine on modern rifles. We shoot modern rifles with copper and mild steel jackets (some military surplus).

The only problem is accuracy. That applies to modern rifles and rifled muzzleloaders. When a barrel twist pitch is determined, bullet weight and shape are accounted for. A rifle barrel designed for lead bullets probably won't do so well stabilizing silver bullets that are nearly half as heavy.

Norinco said:
Remember the stories about how people used to see if silver coins were real by biting them?
I could be mistaken, but I believe that was done for gold coins, not silver.

With this in mind, being half the weight, sure the would go faster for a little while, but would loose their energy much faster than lead, probably resulting in a wounded animal rather than a kill shot. If you even hit the animal. Since the silver will weigh allot less, the BC on them would be pretty bad compared to lead. A light breaze will put you allot farther off your target than if you were shooting lead.

But hey, in the movies you can take out a great white shark in one shot with a poison tipped hollow point silver bullet that explodes with the energy of an ounce of C4 on impact :rotf:

Jack Wilson said:
Norinco said:
Remember the stories about how people used to see if silver coins were real by biting them?
I could be mistaken, but I believe that was done for gold coins, not silver.

I'm pretty sure it was done for silver too. I have quite a few Chinese silver coins ranging from Spanish trade coins to warlord and Republican coins. A lot of them have hackmarks and what appear to be teethmarks.

Back