• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sighting in Pedersoli's Frontier

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good evening gentlmen (it’s 23:00 here in Poland :) ).
Last sunday I wanted finally sighting in my Investarms capslock Hawken and my two flintlock rifles – Pennsylvania and Frontier, both of Pedersoli. All three guns are .50 caliber.
I've shot them before several times just for fun, not for results, and I had a very long break with muzzleloading. But two months ago, I took part in a local tournament by accident and finished third in one of competitions (flintlock smoothbore pistol). I fired a borrowed weapon. And that was my inspiration.
So last sunday morning I tried zeroing all three rifles at 25 meters. I used all the time the same charge of 60 grains of black powder (Czech Vesuvit LC – if I’m not wrong it’s like FFg ). I took .490 and .495 round balls with me to try both diameters.
As I said all three guns are „cal. .50”, but… I loaded my Hawken with .495 round ball in cotton patch very easy, no problems even after few shots. To put that ball in both Pedersoli’s barrels I had to use a hammer. So I resigned and shot my both flintlocks with .490 balls. As a patch lube I used 50/50 mix of beeswax and tallow.
You can see the results. I’m very happy with the Investarms Hawken. Shooting that nice capslock rifle was the easiest part of the day. First choice of powder charge and ball diameter, than first four shots and I know what I need. But I’m definitely a flintlock guy.
The Pennsylvania is ok like for the first time, I just have to practise more. I bought that rifle 12 years ago from Dixiegun as a kit and finished my self so I have sentiment.
The Frontier is a real challenge for me. I’m in love with that gun because of it’s shape and balancing, but just can’t get how to use sights of that rifle! What ever I do I do it wrong. As you can see I got some grouping. So I filed the front sight and it still doesnt work. When I tried to aim higher (using that buckhorn sight like ghostring sight) I had problem to hit the target at all. I spent most of that day at the range traying to understand how to aim that rifle and I’m still at my starting point… I checked the barrel chamber and the rifling and I did not find any deforrmations or damages.
I shot the Pennsylvania – the same manufacturer, the same caliber, the same powder charge, the same ball diameter, the same patch - only the barrel is a little longer and because of that the front of the barrel is noticeably heavier. But results are much better. Maybe the good idea is just to replace sights on that Frontier.
Please forgive me if my tread is to long... I'm really confused so I would really appreciate your suggestions.
Bez nazwy.jpg

I will say that I shoot much more consistently with aperture type sights and a well defined front sight. I just changed sights on a flintlock today due to difficulty focusing.
I personally use pre-lubed patches from ox yoke, 10km away from my home in Pennsylvania. They offer consistent thickness. I think that fit in the groves is pretty vital to accuracy. So I have a variety of thicknesses I test.
Powodzenia.

I widened the rear sight notch on mine. If you look at the rear sight from the muzzle end of the rifle I opened the rear notch to the size of the dimple on that side of the sight. I also deepened the notch a little . I filed the front to maybe a little more than half the original height (mines a .54). I'm dead on at 50 yards. Sight picture is much better than the original. I can put 5 rounds touching at 50 yards.

Oh and my hold is top of front post even with top of rear notch. Rear notch needs to be bigger.

Your Frontier looks to be shooting very low at 25 meters, guessing maybe 12 inches (30.5 cm)? If for example, the distance between your sights is 30 inches (76.2 cm), a quick calculation says you need to raise your rear sight or lower the front about .40 inches (10.2 mm). You might want to try a temporary higher rear sight held in place with tape or a strong magnet. Check my adjustment numbers. I guessed on how low you were shooting and the distance between your sights. Getting your gun shooting where you want it to is a big part of the fun and satisfaction. Good luck.

I've had two Frontier rifles. The front sight on those is HUGE. Takes a lot of filing to get it down to where it needs to be. I also don't like buckhorn rear sights, but to each his own. I like my rear sight groove to be opened up enough to see daylight on both sides of the front blade.

Also sounds like you have not really tried many different loads. Maybe play around a bit with patch thickness, lube, and powder to see if it will tighten the group up. I can tell you that both Frontiers I had were real shooters.

Found the same thing out on a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol. The front sights are huge and they are way to thick for my liking. I had to have the notch cut in my rear sight and i have ordered a new front sight for it from Track. I also read reviews on the Frontier that claim the same as what you mentioned Spikebuck. Alot of filing on the front sight

Thank you all very much! I don't know how thick my patches are... I should definietely try some others. I just bought the standard pillow thicking material in a fabric store... So - there is nothing for me to do but keep trying.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem. I posted about this years ago. I finally just purchased a silver LOW front sight from track of the wolf. Let me see if I can find the thread and I can "re-post" it here. IN short, that front sight on frontier is way, way, way too high

Latest posts

Back