• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight Picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampy11

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What do most percussion shooters use as a sight picture, 6:00 o'clock hold or center hold? Is one better for target and one better for hunting?
`swamp

I usually use a 6o'clock hold for target shooting and a center hold for hunting on all my rifles and pistols, bp or modern.
Jim

I hold the top of the front bead in the center of the bull---or any other target. I don't want to cover the spot I want to hit. I draw a streight line across the top of the bead through the center of the "target" :results:

6 o'clock hold for targets,makes it easier to see where you want to hit.Dead on for hunting,put the front sight where you want the ball to go.But of course this is just :imo:

It realy depends of personal preference. If you shot with one eye, then it is easier to see the target above the sight, but if you can train yourself to shoot with both eyes as you would with a shootgun in trap shooting, then you can see the full target image in one eye while the other centers the darker sight image on the target.
I personaly believe one should not intentionaly handycap ones self in any sport :m2c: Ronnie....

I hold on center... good to 100 yards, I only made one shot at 100yards most of my shots are at 20 to 40 yards

I sight my rifles to hit 2" high at 50 yards. Gives me just a hair high at 25 yards, 2" or so high at 50, on at 75 or 80 yards, and something like 2" low at 100 yards (hard to tell with a 6" group :redface:). I aim center-chest over back edge of foreleg on a deer and don't have to think about elevation corrections for any reasonable round ball distance.

On a 6" bull at 50 yards, that requires me to hold an inch up into the black to group on the "X". That means, as R.E.M. mentioned above, it helps if I keep both eyes open; but that is how I shoot anyway. I also prefer using a target that is a 2" black diamond with a 1" white center. If I hold with the front sight under the lower angle my group is centered, and the "V" of the diamond is much easier to align with the front blade.

swampi: For target the military has used the 6 o'clock hold for centuries and I think it's still the best. The problem is you have to change your site for different size targets and different ranges. I mean a 4" center at 25 yards you need 2" to hit center a 6" center at 50 yards you need 3" to hit center. But for target it's best. Now for hunting that deer, rabbit, or squirrel doesn't have a clock tattooed on his hide and you may not have time to figure out what 6 o'clock is so it's best to site center or POI when hunting. I like Stumpkillers idea then you don't have to do any figuring within PRB range just put it where you want to hit and pull the trigger.
Fox :thumbsup:

So is this what your sight picture looks like?

SightPicture.jpg

For target work I like a 6 o'clock hold with a sourdough front sight. For game a bead. I'm like Stump for ranging, but use a 3" bull for my varmint rifle so I'm hittin' 1.5" high at 50 yards.

Back